Ford parts in my Swinger

-

Giller1

Reaction score
I have a 73 swinger with a 318 and 7 1/4 rearend. I know I will have to beef up the rear but cannot find a better one for a decent price. So I was wanting to know how much trouble it would be to swap in a Ford 9 inch? Any and all info is appreciated.

Its not a problem to install a ford 9",since its a leaf spring suspension,you need to cut the axle tubes and install new axles,bearing ect,500-1000$ and new drive shaft and u-joints and balacning,brake lines and brakes,and maybe new rims,no big deal,mrmopartech

Unless you can find one already set up with perches, correct length, etc, it will probably cost more than finding a good 8 3/4. If you plan on keeping the 318, you can find an 8 1/4 cheap.

Most Ford car 9" axles are already the right length for an A Body. You would have to move the perches, and adapt something for the e-brake cables. Probably have to shorten a driveshaft, and use an adapter u-joint.

Many advantages going to a 9". I heard the early broncos had a 9" that is really close to an A body width. I have over a grand in my 9" in my dart. It's not a cheap swap, but it does have a detroit locker and custom alloy axles.

Attachments

• New dart2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 255
Many advantages going to a 9". I heard the early broncos had a 9" that is really close to an A body. I have over a grand in my 9" in my dart. It's not a cheap swap.

so what are the advantages

Alright you got me there is only a couple. The 9" has a 3rd pinion bearing to support the pinion. The only other axle to have it is the GM 14 bolt. Plus there are way more gear options for the 9" and they are everywhere, unlike the 8 3/4. Don't get me wrong I love the 8 3/4 and actually have 3 of them right now, but I think the 9" has them beat on cost and availability, especially if you plan on drag racing. As far as strength goes? Nevermind it will start a pissing match.

Attachments

• 0910tr_09_z+ford_9_inch_rear_end_upgrade+internal_third_member.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 240
Alright you got me there is only a couple.

I've decided I MUST have a third member rear axle, so if I want to swap gears, I don't have to pull the axle apart to change, I.E. have two "pumpkins" you can swap.

The Ford 9" is probably on a par with the Dana 60, especially when using the fancy nodular or aftermarket casting. There is no doubt there are many gear options available.

Just picked up a 9" out of a Lincoln. Unfortunately it has coils so will be a lot of work to strip off the unwanted brackets, but it also DOES have factory rear discs.

the A body 8 3/4 also has a third member just like the 9" and uber strength to go with it and with the right axles and fits directly in your car. a 489 case with a 742 sure-grip is the hot ticket and gears a plenty

8.75 is a very good and very strong rearend. 9" is good too but it sucks up a little more h.p. than the 8.75 and the Dana 60. Now the Dana 60 is an entire different animal, and animal it is!

This is why you say screw it all and just go Dana 60

I have a 73 swinger with a 318 and 7 1/4 rearend. I know I will have to beef up the rear but cannot find a better one for a decent price. So I was wanting to know how much trouble it would be to swap in a Ford 9 inch? Any and all info is appreciated.

I know a guy in your area that has a 9" he would like to sell. He was prepping it to go in his Dart but I sold him an 8 3/4, which is what he wanted to begin with. I'll ask him how much he wants the next time I see him.
Dallas

The Ford 9" is probably on a par with the Dana 60, .

No.

The 9" is on par with 8 3/4".

Dana 60 is in a league of it's own.

When you start beefing any of them up with aftermarket parts is when you start blurring the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Ok, well I really don't want to sink a ton of money in the rearend. I do t plan on have alot of HP, just found a nice/clean/tight 9 inch for cheap and figured I would ask some pros how hard the swap would be. So I'm on the lookout for a 8 1/4 or 8 3/4. Thanks guys for the info.

the other alternative is the Chrysler 9.25" diff . It was used in "B" Bodies starting in 1973 , and was last used -- iirc -- in 1980 , 360-powered "R" Bodies ; they're still used in Dodge trucks ; parts are plentiful .

IF you find a "B" Body in the salvage yard , and it's a '73 & up , and it's got a 400 HP or 440 , it'll def have the nine-and-one-quarter diff in it . It'll also most-likely have 2.93 - 3.21 gearing , but may also have 3.55 ( less-likely in non-HP applications ) .

While the 9" is undeniably a stout piece , they're also uber expensive to build . There were different spline-counts , with the HP ( e.g. , axle package / towing package ) axles being the most sought after ( Mustang / Cougar with 3.90 - 4.30 gears ; Rancheros with 3.50 gearing ) , which -- iirc -- is the 31 spline deal .

Off topic ( slightly ) : back in the early-mid 90's I had a 1970 Ranchero GT with a Cleveland 2 Bbl / FMX combo , and a 9" with 3.50 / Locker .
The driver's side axle shaft was bent (!!) when I got it ( the car was perfect otherwise ) as the prior owner slid and smacked a curb ( he was older and not flogging the thing ).
I searched high & low for a 31 spline replacement , to no avail .
Finally , by the grace of God , I found a '72 Ranchero in the 'yard with the same setup
( 3.50 / Locker ) . If I had to buy a new / replacement one from an outside source like Currie , I'd have been screwed .

Nevertheless ...
the 9.25" Chrysler rear is another alternative for you .

Good luck with your venture .

The cheapest option for a removable 3rd member would be the Ford 8", but the gear selection sucks and its not as strong as a 8.75 or 9". The 69-70 Mustangs rears are almost a bolt in. Since you have a 7.25, you will have to shorten the driveshaft on any larger rear.

Ok, well I really don't want to sink a ton of money in the rearend. I do t plan on have alot of HP, just found a nice/clean/tight 9 inch for cheap and figured I would ask some pros how hard the swap would be. So I'm on the lookout for a 8 1/4 or 8 3/4. Thanks guys for the info.

I'm pretty sure I have a couple of 8 1/4" rears left. I also have an early B-body 8 3/4" (the one that is only about an 1" wider than an A-body rear) that I might part with reasonably. If you want to go to the 9 1/4" as LH23H2R mentioned, I have one of those also.
Dallas

-
Back