Ford rear in a '65 A body

-

harvenator

A fish called Wanda
Reaction score
Any one know which Ford rears will bolt into a '65 A body 4 speed to replace a 7 1/4"? I had one years ago in a 64 Barracuda 4 speed but can't remember what it came out of.

57-59 Ford Fairlane. They are an exact bolt in, even your brake cables will hook up but you will need to cut the drive shaft, it is also 1/2" narrower on each side.

The old style Bronco, 68-72?, are the same length, I don't know if it is a bolt right in situation and I think they are getting hard to find...

68-70 Mustang is a perfect fit. Maverick, Comet, Falcon and Granada should work too.

The old style Bronco, 68-72?, are the same length, I don't know if it is a bolt right in situation and I think they are getting hard to find...

Almost the same length but not a bolt in and has 5 1/2" bolt circle.

68-70 Mustang is a perfect fit. Maverick, Comet, Falcon and Granada should work too.

The 68-70 Mustang will fit but are wider than the stock 7 1/4 and will cause tire clearance issues on an early A,

The Maverick, Comet and early Falcon are the correct size but only came with the 8" and if memory serves me correctly, the Maverick/Comet rear may need the perches moved out a little.

The Granada is too wide and needs spring perches added.

The only 9" Ford rear end that is a direct bolt in is the 57-59 Ford.

This is great guys, this opens a way for me to save some money because the junk yard up the street wants 1200 bucks for an 8 3/4 a-body rear and only 450 bucks for the 57-59 ford rear... also many more options with the 9 inch...:-D:toothy10::-D

Thanks!!!

This is great guys, this opens a way for me to save some money because the junk yard up the street wants 1200 bucks for an 8 3/4 a-body rear and only 450 bucks for the 57-59 ford rear... also many more options with the 9 inch...:-D:toothy10::-D

Thanks!!!

I'm speechless, $1200??? do they think it's made of gold or something?

$450 is still pretty high, $250 is a little more reasonable and you won't want to use the 57-59 third member if you are running big horse power because the WAR case is not a very strong case, I just sold an extra 57 housing and axles I had for $150

Last week at MATS, in the swap meet section, I saw four A-body 8 3/4 rearends for $400 or less. One was fully disassembled for $300. I also saw an A-Body Dana for $1750

If you keep looking, you should be able to find one in your cost range. I suspect the Fairlane Rear will also cost you a pretty penny.

When's your next Mopar swap meet?

This yard has always wanted top dollar for all of their stuff... of course there less than 3 miles from my house, and they have the most a-body mopar parts on this side of Arizona, but still.. I find myself going back because they do have EVERYTHING, its just not affordable. :angry7:

IMO, maybe they have to pay for their fancy smansy website.

I've talked to them once and was floored because of the prices on a couple tail lights with pitting on the chrome. Also on used candy cane trim.

There's a lot of a-body stuff in California still. A few yards in Colorado also have a few early A's. None in Nevada or Utah that I've found yet.

This yard has always wanted top dollar for all of their stuff... of course there less than 3 miles from my house, and they have the most a-body mopar parts on this side of Arizona, but still.. I find myself going back because they do have EVERYTHING, its just not affordable. :angry7:

Not sure where in Arizona you are but my uncle goes back and forth from Tuscon to St. Louis pretty offten, I'll see if he has any 57-59 9" rears and let you know.

Almost the same length but not a bolt in and has 5 1/2" bolt circle.

The 68-70 Mustang will fit but are wider than the stock 7 1/4 and will cause tire clearance issues on an early A,

The Maverick, Comet and early Falcon are the correct size but only came with the 8" and if memory serves me correctly, the Maverick/Comet rear may need the perches moved out a little.

The Granada is too wide and needs spring perches added.

The only 9" Ford rear end that is a direct bolt in is the 57-59 Ford.

Its been a while, but the 70 8" I pulled from a Mustang fastback was the exact same as the 7 1/4". Maybe the 9 is wider, but the 8" was on the money. I didn't measure with drums on either rear, so it was from axle flang to axle flang.

-
Back