Ford's new interceptor Police Car

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
Well I heard on the radio today that Ford is taking an aggressive stand against Mopar in trying to get the market back for Police Cruisers. Here is a link to their new "Interceptor" Personally I like the Chargers better and the Challangers. Hopefully, Ma Mopar will not let Ford corner the market in the Police Vehicle market.

http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/

They look gay.

Hopefully Mopar will make sure they corner that market.

With this economy, most police forces will keep what they have for a while anyways.

Yeah, and GM are releasing a new cop-only Caprice based on the very good Australian GM-Holden RWD platform, if I'm not mistaken. It'll be interesting to see which winds up winning the hearts and minds of North American cop shops. Anything to hasten the disappearance of the Clown Victoria, which really is a pathetic car that should've been discontinued long ago.

Yeah, and GM are releasing a new cop-only Caprice based on the very good Australian GM-Holden RWD platform, if I'm not mistaken. It'll be interesting to see which winds up winning the hearts and minds of North American cop shops. Anything to hasten the disappearance of the Clown Victoria, which really is a pathetic car that should've been discontinued long ago.
I have owned several Crown Vics without any trouble at all and would continue to buy them. I have also owned a couple newer Mopars that werent worth the steel wasted to build them. My opinion is Ford has the market on the 86 and up RWD family car.

I have a 01 Crown Vic that was the primary household car from day one until about a year ago. That car was great! Rode good, virtually trouble free, nice and roomy. Even the little 4.6 was pretty peppy for it's size. If there was a need I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. But back on point, I don't see those two Ford offerings upending ChryCo except for the liberal weenie city P.D.'s...

Well, nobody thought they would put the Impala on as a fleet service car, but there are thousands out there. Those aren't that bad looking. Remember, cop cars are not about looks, but being utilitarian and functional. Not one single cop owns his own cop car - its bought by the bean counters. Besides they're built here at home.........
As long as they can jump tall curbs in several bounces its all good............
Daryl

Butt ugly, nuff said. Actually cop pulls me over I'd ask if wanted to go for a ride in my black car.

Attachments

• 109.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 367

Mr. Dan, I've relented from replying to any of your posts but on this one I feel that I must make a comment. Your comment on the Crown Vic is obviously one that was made on based on ignorance rather than fact.

A few years ago I owned a 93 Caprice 9C1 unmarked police car. It was a hoot. We beat the living snot out of that thing and it just took it. I remember doing 140 a few times on an empty highway.

A six cylinder..? I say catch me if you can!!

Oh...I don't know. 380HP V6 is pretty impressive, add to that the handling of new vehicle with a purpose built suspension (especially if you opt in on the all wheel drive) and you have a potent little street cruiser.

Oh...I don't know. 380HP V6 is pretty impressive, add to that the handling of new vehicle with a purpose built suspension (especially if you opt in on the all wheel drive) and you have a potent little street cruiser.

Was merely being facetious... I have 6" wide M/T Sportsman tires on the front of my car... definitely not ideal for corners.

Just wondering... since they are Ferds... do they come with free towing??

I've actually been looking for a used 'family' car, something comfortable with plenty of room, I'm getting tired of driving a pick up truck and there is no room for the family.
The other day I started looking into used cop cars, and the Crown Vic seemed to be the best candidate, for some reason all of the Caprice cop cars around here are totally trashed.
I like the extras they come with, and even the steel wheels for all of the potholes- the best part is the rubberized floor.
Carpet is a joke in any daily driver, who thought of that anyway?

Anyone know the gas mileage on these cars?

I think with fuel costs constantly on the rise,the 3.5 twinturbo eco-boost engine is the way of the future.I,ve driven many a Flex and MKT,s at work,these are 4000lb 7 passanger vehicles that are dam impressive with the V6.JMO.:toothy10:

Mr. Dan, I've relented from replying to any of your posts but on this one I feel that I must make a comment. Your comment on the Crown Vic is obviously one that was made on based on ignorance rather than fact.

All I know is every cop I have ever talked to around here agrees with Mr. Dan... they all say the crown vicks were absolute garbage and would float above 90mph... On the other hand all but one had nothing but good things to say about their chargers.
Not my words but the words of they guys doing the job.

I've actually been looking for a used 'family' car, something comfortable with plenty of room, I'm getting tired of driving a pick up truck and there is no room for the family.
The other day I started looking into used cop cars, and the Crown Vic seemed to be the best candidate, for some reason all of the Caprice cop cars around here are totally trashed.
I like the extras they come with, and even the steel wheels for all of the potholes- the best part is the rubberized floor.
Carpet is a joke in any daily driver, who thought of that anyway?

Anyone know the gas mileage on these cars?
I have got 25 mpg on every 92 and newer Vic that I have had.

Well I heard on the radio today that Ford is taking an aggressive stand against Mopar in trying to get the market back for Police Cruisers. Here is a link to their new "Interceptor" Personally I like the Chargers better and the Challangers. Hopefully, Ma Mopar will not let Ford corner the market in the Police Vehicle market.

http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/

I like the Charger as a cop car, good looking and agressive, probably the best looking car they have used in years.

I was not able to get the link to open, but I hope it is another good seller for Ford. I want to work for another 12 to 15 years and the better Ford does the better for me. The current Crown Vic will end next year. They are working overtime on the line that makes the rack and pinion steering. I on the other hand build gears for caddies, Yeah I work for Ford in Indy, and the plant is closing nest year. Next year hope to move to Ky assemble plant to finish out my years at Ford

Cops want room for all their STUFF, a car that is comfortable, quick enough for some high speed chases, handle well at high speeds and dependable. They also want a car that is reliable.

With modern cars they don't need a V8 to be powerful. We are going to see more smaller engines that out perform the old V8's and get better gas mileage. We all like the V8 for the sound, but how many of you would like a car that gets 25-30mpg and still fast

I get crap all the time about my Prowler only having a V6, yeah it should have a V8 but it runs good most my buddies run high 14 1/4's in stock form, it just doesn't have the sound.

The issue with this is that it's a front driver. Sure, the sheriff's departments and local municipalities might buy into it, like they've done the Intrepid and the Impala, but it's gonna be a hard sell on the state trooper level.

Working at a former Ford dealership who did a lot of repair work on Crown Vic trooper cars and talking to a lot of the troopers, I made the off hand comment one day about the Charger being available with AWD and the Hemi making a good cop car in upstate NY. One of the troopers replied that it wouldn't happen because of the handling characteristics being different than the RWD drive Crown Vic. The troopers are trained for the RWD and the way it maneuvers. To go AWD would mean that the troopers would have to undergo retraining. Even the Tahoes here are RWD, not 4WD. It would be the same way for FWD. Of course, I can only speak for NY and speaking to a few troopers here about it. Other states may feel differently.

I would also think that a lot states for their troopers might shy away from the FWD because of tranny issues, deserved for this car or not. Sever duty use and FWD drive, historically, has never gone hand in hand. Of course, the Vic's tranny and sever duty use was always an issue, too...

-
Back