"Foreground" music

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Do any of the rest of you suffer this?

I'm speaking of otherwise great, interesting documentaries being made distractive and downright annoying due to too much and too loud music along with the narration.

The first I contacted about this was someone about "The Legend of Panch Barnes" involving a guy named Nick Sparks. I actually got into an argument about this with him via email, as he was not able to place his huge ego into his pants long enough to have an intelligent discussion.

Tonight, is an otherwise great spot about the old Curtiss "Jenny." (Then called it this because of the U.S. Army designation, "JN" series)

Anyhow, .........wayyyyy too much music, and wayyyyy too loud

Bear in mind I'm not using a "tin can" for a TV. While an older set by "standards," it was not cheap. It's about a 46" Toshiba, big enough and heavy enough that I can no longer lift it. It doesn't have "wall to wall" speakers, but it sounds good on most programs.

Rant over? Only if you're lucky!!!

I absolutely HATE that. Same with otherwise good youtube videos. I don't know why people feed stupid and loud music into what would otherwise be good entertainment. Dummies.

The younger ones seem to like it, so maybe we are just getting old and easily irritated. :D

I know what you mean though, and I mention how it ruins what I'm watching.

The plus side is tonight as it was ending I starting searching Youtube. Found all kinds of great A/C videos

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA63KJJtEDQ"]Starting the A-1 Triad OX-5 engine - YouTube[/ame]

Seen this one before

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60CgYmNb2a8"]Restored Vintage Northrop N9MB Flying Wing---Rare Sight ! - YouTube[/ame]

Connie. One of the worlds most beautiful aircraft

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwRiGxb7Te8"]Spectacular Lockheed Super Constellation visual Approach - Paris Air Show 2013 ( HD ) - YouTube[/ame]

YES! I have complained about this for years. They even do it on the radio during reports and weather etc. If I am watching your drag car on youtube, thats what I want to hear, not heavy metal. Everywhere you go, including sports highlights, it has to have background music. I hate it.

Music over car videos is the absolute worst! I want to hear the dang engine!

I also hate when I'm watching a movie and the dialogue is so much quieter than the rest of the audio, I end up turning it up to hear what the people are saying just to get blow away when an explosion or whatever happens.

YES! .......... They even do it on the radio during reports and weather etc...................

Yes, I understand that BS when your watching the news on the network channels. They go from no background on the weather segment to the boom, boom, boom, background beat for the traffic report. :wack:

The younger ones seem to like it, so maybe we are just getting old and easily irritated..................
Lol, and at 5 AM, if you've left your surround sound on, you just may be waking up the household. And the late night young'uns don't much care for that.:blob:

Yes, I have noticed this more and more. And Trailbeast, I thought it was just me getting old, but...when I watch a older movie, the loud music is not overtaking the dialogue, in fact, many times, there is no music when important dialogue is going on.

I don't get their reasoning for doing it. Could it be the actors aren't as good as they used to be!!!

I was beginning to think I was alone on this. According to Nick Sparks, I need a better TV. He did NOT, however, volunteer to supply me with one!!!

I was beginning to think I was alone on this. According to Nick Sparks, I need a better TV. He did NOT, however, volunteer to supply me with one!!!

No. You're far from alone on this. I've also noticed that on many FM stations, now, the news is reported over music, and some times it's far too loud to understand what the anchor is saying.
I don't understand the need for it, but it seems to in everything audible, now.

Just like going to the gym and everyone has hard wired ears. What ever happened to social skills and interaction with other humans? The elevator is the best. Everyone has earbuds or is looking at their master. Eye contact optional.

I too really dislike it. I have for years. I have quit jobs over this music-in-the-workplace issue,And accepted positions, on the condition of No-music-in the-workplace.
For me(and nobody believes it) music interferes with my thought process. Im not that good of a mechanic that I can share my mind with music, no matter how quiet, or subliminal.One boss started quoting studies that proved workers were more productive after music was introduced.I just shook my head.
For me, when there is music, my ears want to run the show.They start to tune into it.I start to want to (in my mind) sing along, or hum along.Well thats nuts.Then in the evenings those stupid songs are still playing on an endless loop between my ears,sometimes two days later!
They only music I will listen to these days, is music that I have never heard before, or that has no accompanying singing;And not in the workpace.
Call me nuts, I dont care. It is what it is.Im here to fix stuff in a timely fashion.Play music it will take longer. Smoke your stinky cigarette in my face,Im going home.Ok now Im ranting, as well as digressing.

Yes, I have noticed this more and more. And Trailbeast, I thought it was just me getting old, but...when I watch a older movie, the loud music is not overtaking the dialogue, in fact, many times, there is no music when important dialogue is going on.

I don't get their reasoning for doing it. Could it be the actors aren't as good as they used to be!!!

I think it's because everything has to be more sensational.
Just news or a movie isn't good enough these days.

I gotta call BS on Nick then because we have a brand new Visio 48" "smart" TV with internet connectivity and theatre sound system.
Now the music is just louder if you turn it up enough to hear what the people are saying.
Adding treble at the lower volumes helps with voices, but then the still too loud music sounds like crap.

I too really dislike it. I have for years. I have quit jobs over this music-in-the-workplace issue,And accepted positions, on the condition of No-music-in the-workplace.
For me(and nobody believes it) music interferes with my thought process. Im not that good of a mechanic that I can share my mind with music, no matter how quiet, or subliminal.One boss started quoting studies that proved workers were more productive after music was introduced.I just shook my head.
For me, when there is music, my ears want to run the show.They start to tune into it.I start to want to (in my mind) sing along, or hum along.Well thats nuts.Then in the evenings those stupid songs are still playing on an endless loop between my ears,sometimes two days later!
They only music I will listen to these days, is music that I have never heard before, or that has no accompanying singing;And not in the workpace.
Call me nuts, I dont care. It is what it is.Im here to fix stuff in a timely fashion.Play music it will take longer. Smoke your stinky cigarette in my face,Im going home.Ok now Im ranting, as well as digressing.

Ok, you are nuts. :)
I don't have a problem with low (appropriate) music in the workplace, and I much prefer music without a voice track but loud F this and F that music has zero place in public places.
One of my neighbors play F this and F that Rap where I can hear it clearly in my back yard.
Cops said they won't do anything till after 10pm. (in spite of the language used)
"He has a right to listen to his own music" they said.

I gotta call BS on Nick then .

LMAO. The sad part is this guy has seemingly produced some pretty good stuff. It's too bad he was unable to put his ego away long enough to stand some "helpful" comments.

-
Back