Forged crank pilot bushing hole.....

-

swinger340

Reaction score
Anyone know if the 340 auto and standard cranks were drilled to the same size? Looking @ a crank out of a 340 auto car with no bushing to go in a std car. Can a bushing just be installed or will the crank need to be drilled bigger 1st. If anyone knows from experience please let me know. Thanks, Kevin:burnout:

It could be but I wouldn't count on it. Most automatic cranks didn't get the final machining process for the bushing. If you have a new or used bushing, you can try it in the hole and see if it will start to go in with your fingers. Usually the unfinished hole will be rougher than the finished one. You can hone out the unfinished hole and cut down a stock bushing to fit, install a later magnum bearing assy in the outer converter hole, or have the crank drilled and finished to the proper diameter. I've done all three and find the easiest is to install the magnum bearing or an aftermarket bushing that fits into the same hole. If you have a '67 and earlier 273 or slant 6, the next easiest is the hone and bushing cut job.

As stated before Napa has them or had them at one time. The last time I asked about them, they said they weren't available anymore. The part number is Balkamp 615-1033. Someone surely still has some around. Good Luck!

use one that fits in the converter register no drilling or BS required. measure the depth of the pilot hole you will need about 2.5 inches for input shaft to fit w/o modification. Get National bearing: FC-69907 is a roller type. It can be had at almost any parts store. Got mine from Oreilly's for about $10.

Goto the manual trans forum and there is a discussion on this very subject with all combinations possible .

-
Back