Forgive me....PLEASE!

-

PistolGrip

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a B-Body MOPAR, specifically a 1963 Plymouth Belvedere 2 door sedan, 318 Poly engine 727 push button transmission and an 8 3/4" rear end with a (I think) 3.23 741 Sure Grip. It's really a neat car that is BEGGING to be a Max Wedge some day, but......right now he's having some rear end problems that are going to require some work AND probably some parts. I have a 1966 A Body & when I went to my manual I discovered the rear end assembly is entirely different on these 1963 models, starting with no end play adjustment. Does ANYONE have any pictures, diagrams, specifications, trouble shooting information...on this 1963 B-Body rear end? I KNOW this isn't an A-Body problem, but I'm not a member of the B-Body group, so I thought I'd give it a shot here. Anyone????

Picture of the rear end? Is it an 8-3/4? If it is, it probably has tapered axle tubes.

Picture of the rear end? Is it an 8-3/4? If it is, it probably has tapered axle tubes.
Sorry, I'm not by the car now, but yes, it is an 8 3/4" rear end & they are tapered axles with
keyways and castle nuts - and no adjusters - totally different assembly than 'normal' - unique to 1963 (maybe 1964) and older - maybe even back to 1957.

Agreed. Best bet is find a newer B body assembly and swap it out. I think the center section is the same, depending on axle spline count.

Agreed. Best bet is find a newer B body assembly and swap it out. I think the center section is the same, depending on axle spline count.
I know switching out is an option, but we'd REALLY like to see some pictures & do some research on what he has now before giving up on using what he has. Haven't found ANYTHING!

Down load a factory service manual from my mopar. Trucks and C body’s had the same till 1964. Kim
I haven't been to my mopar before. They had a lot of service manuals, but not a 1963 Plymouth. I found a 1958 or '59. They're supposed to be the same, so I'll follow through with that. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

The older 8 3/4 used shims to adjust axle play. Be aware of their placement when u take it apart. Other wise it's the same as later ones. The newer center sections should work. I can't remember a splines difference when I had my 62 wedge decades ago. Cheers.

The older 8 3/4 used shims to adjust axle play. Be aware of their placement when u take it apart. Other wise it's the same as later ones. The newer center sections should work. I can't remember a splines difference when I had my 62 wedge decades ago. Cheers.
Thanks, we're finding this out as we go along, but where to get shims or what we should be looking for (we don't know what a previous owner may have done). That's where a good manual helps. I like to read directions whenever possible. I've learned that the hard way. :)

As with a lotta stuff, - if needed, the shims you'll likely have to make, using shim stock or a beer can, lol.

Pulling the axles is fun. Research and get yourself a puller to get the drums off. Buddy’s 62 had, another buddy’s 59 had.i got my puller off the snap-on truck.

Pulling the axles is fun. Research and get yourself a puller to get the drums off. Buddy’s 62 had, another buddy’s 59 had.i got my puller off the snap-on truck.

There are only about 2 pullers ever made to pull those, Proto, OTC, maybe the dealer stuff, and then "all the rest." They have to be big and strong.

tapered axle hub puller - Google Search

OTC-7394.jpg

You tighten it up, "tap" on the ends and "tap" on the end of the screw

Last edited:
I you check out the guys that are into these pre 65 b bodies, you will find that ditching that rear is foremost on their list.

There are only about 2 pullers ever made to pull those, Proto, OTC, maybe the dealer stuff, and then "all the rest." They have to be big and strong.

tapered axle hub puller - Google Search

View attachment 1715147729

You tighten it up, "tap" on the ends and "tap" on the end of the screw

Yea! I got hit in the chest with one of those, someone over tightened the nut on the axle and we just kept hitting the thing with a BFH turning and turning I'm sure there was a ton of force on it and it popped and I got hit with the puller and drum, luckily my hand was there and it only smashed my finger and knocked the wind out of me, A couple of stitches in my finger and some very sore ribs. I'm sure it could have been worse so be careful and put the nut on a ways so it wont fly off when it breaks loose. I always learn the hard way, it sticks better.

-
Back