Formula S style full wheel covers fitment

-

66valiant273Sig

Valiant Man
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to switch my 1966 Valiant convert to the sport wheel covers. I have what I believe to be the 5.5" 14" wheels from a Formula S car. I also have the longer lug nuts. My question is are the covers supposed to sit all the way down in the rim or is there a Gap? I can get mine to a certain point and then they seem to not sit all the way down into the rim. Any info on this with example photos would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Tyler, mine are the same fit with the correct rims
Hi, I'm trying to switch my 1966 Valiant convert to the sport wheel covers. I have what I believe to be the 5.5" 14" wheels from a Formula S car. I also have the longer lug nuts. My question is are the covers supposed to sit all the way down in the rim or is there a Gap? I can get mine to a certain point and then they seem to not sit all the way down into the rim. Any info on this with example photos would be greatly appreciated!

Don't know how helpful this one is, but it's what I have. The 14 inch and 13 inch exposed lug nut wheel covers 65-66 were the same stamping. Difference was the grippers and the location of the valve stem cutout. The 13 inch covers covered the entire wheel. The 14's showed the outer quarter/half inch of the wheel lip. My 66 is long gone, but my memory is that they didn't sit all the way down on the rim.

66 Barracuda left rear wheel.jpg

Yes, there is a gap behind the wheel cover. You can see it on this pic:
F56AD53E-4B89-437A-A9F3-B7E7ED1D293B.jpeg

This is kind of a digression, but tire stores would routinely use a rubber mallet to pop the wheel covers on. That might would work OK on some wheel covers, but it would invariably ding the outer lip of a Formula S wheel cover. Between that and them destroying lugs by trying to loosen a left hand lug by turning counterclockwise with an impact wrench, I soon got to where if I wanted to mount some new tires, I removed the wheel/tire from the car, took it to the tire store loose, and then re-mounted them myself and then installed the wheel covers by hand. Still do that, whether or not my car has wheel covers, and even though I've converted most of my cars to all right hand lugs.

-
Back