FOUND! 1968 dart 383 gts

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
well i was looking around in a town 8 miles from me and found a 1968 dodge dart gts with 383 badges on the fenders, if its a true blue 383 gts thats one desirable car. sence i was in shock of what i was looking at i dont know exactly how complete it is but i know its missing the hood, grille, front valance, i think both bumpers, i have no idea about the interior. its red in color not sure if its a four speed or auto. i am going to do what i can to buy this car but i dont know a good starting offer or if its even forsale, what do you think i should do?

May as well start by seeing if it's for sale and if it is what would they take. If it is, write down the VIN number and check it out, is it the real deal. Is there any running gear in it?

The cars are still out there! A guy here found a beautiful blue 69 Dart with the factory 383 4-speed that had been sitting in a garage in a nearby small town for over 20 years. It needed to have the original paint compounded and polished but it came back extremely well. The car is now mint and a very strong runner depite the long-term storage!

I haven't found my "Hemi in a barn" yet but these stories keep me looking! :)

it has a differential under it but not sure if its the 8 3/4, i just drove by it slowly didnt get out and look. didnt want to upset the owner.

Snap some pics of it and post 'em next time you drive by! :-\"I love seeing "cars in barns" pics. I would just knock on the door and inquire...what's the worst that could happen? The owner just tells you to beat it. In that case be polite, have your number ready to leave w/ the owner and tell them you'll be in touch again sometime...:grin:

I know what you mean. There is a gold 68 or 69 (can't remember) near me. 383, 4 speed 8 3/4 rear. My wife's uncle knew the guy back in the day, orginal owner. He passed away about a uear ago. I have talked to the widow but she is not going to sell as of now. I will contact her again in the spring if I have some money to offer her. It is COMPLETE. interior complete and looks good for a 40+ year old. No dents dings , will just need to be buffed out, tune up and drive it away. As far as offer, i would start out at $3k and go from there. I don't wanna cheat somebody but not wanting to pay more then I have too either. just my .02.

Hopefully the owner won't be offended by your interest. I just had to move one of my cars from my Mom's house, I have too many so they're at several places. People were hassling her about whether it was for sale and even after hearing no they would look all through the car, wander around her backyard looking for more I guess. She's elderly, lives alone and found it quite upsetting, I would have beat the crap out of the guy in the backyard if I was there :angryfir:

just stopped to look at a car the other day because I was curious. It was an old Riviera and the guy didn't want to let it go but we got to talking and I told him about our barracuda and he says," come around back." turns out he has a sweet little garage set up and he's been building cars for about 20 yrs. He has a gorgeous 70 Challenger in the bay and it just so happens he has a bunch of parts for the Barracuda! He sold me a pile of very nice chrome,wire harness,taillights and other misc for 100$! Saved me about 400 if you go by ebay prices! Unless they come out with a gun when you pull up,it can't hurt to ask! Good luck,b.

All you have to do is this,look at the fifth digit and check and make sure its a M or H,if it is,buy it for what ever the price is and run,as long as its a good car,even then you still buy it and get it home ASAP.Mrmopartech

i was gonna look for an H (383). i thought they only made the M code in '69 and it was only 340 and 383 in '68. am i confused?

Correct.. M is used in 69 as Special Order V8 which in the A-body equates to the A13 - 440Cuda package, and the 440 Dart. The fender tag has the E63 (383) engine designation. H would be correct for 383.

Grant

The M was available in 68, but only as one of the 40 Darts sold to Mr. Norm. He got all of them and they were 440 cars. It would be rare to find one, but they were sold with 383 badges on them when new, even with the 440 inside. It's worth it to check on the car, just for the slight chance it is an M code as only about 7 are known to exist at this time. Again, get us some pics and keep us informed. even if it's "just" a 383 GTS, that's one cool potential score.

ooohhh. i did forget about the mr norm cars. werent they gss's? grand spaulding specials? yeah m codes are just a special order v8 in 68,69 and a 400 2 bbl in 71! couldn't find anything as far as 70 though.

well i finally went and talked to the guy, real nice just simply said they wernt and never will be forsale "the kids will probably end up with them" the dart is a factory red, auto, 383 gts. the engine is sitting in his shop and he's the second owner bought it in the early 1970's. so im just gonna keep track of it and maybe someday it will be forsale. thanks for all the help

-
Back