Found a decent paint for less than a mil ?

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I am going to end up repainting my car (hopefully in the spring) and have been looking around for what is available, and for how much.

I see Tractor Supply Co has high gloss Alkyd enamels in gallons for about 25 bucks plus tax.
They also carry the hardener designed for the Alkyd paints.

I will be using red like the car had OEM, but since they have a few different reds I'll be tesing them to get the closest one.
I'll also probably be doing it quarter at a time with the hood and trunk lid removed when thier time comes.

Apparently it's a tough decent quality gloss that holds up pretty well in sun and weather, or so says a lot of the reviews I have read.

I bought some to put on my car trailer and to do the inside and underside of my duster, Have not tried it yet so can't comment on it yet. If i like it I might get some of the semi gloss to do suspension parts. I'm expecting typical alkyd enamel results, as such, I'm expecting the gloss to die back as it cures out, usually within 90 days. I'm kind of funny what I put on the out side of a car as I don't like to put materials on that if I decide later to put better materials on, or repair damage, might cause reaction problems. I have run into to many issues painting over unknown paints over the years. I'd have to look at the can again but I think the Tsc paint is oil based much like rustoleum and thats a mess to put proper materials over. I would step up to at least a catalyzed acrylic enamel or single stage urethane so if you have an issue it can be fixed and repainted without having reaction problems, and you would have better gloss longer. there are some enamel or urethane kits out there for under $100.

I bought some to put on my car trailer and to do the inside and underside of my duster, Have not tried it yet so can't comment on it yet. If i like it I might get some of the semi gloss to do suspension parts. I'm expecting typical alkyd enamel results, as such, I'm expecting the gloss to die back as it cures out, usually within 90 days. I'm kind of funny what I put on the out side of a car as I don't like to put materials on that if I decide later to put better materials on might cause reaction problems. I have run into to many issues painting over unknown paints over the years. I'd have to look at the can again but I think the Tsc paint is oil based much like rustoleum and thats a mess to put proper materials over. I would step up to at least a catalyzed acrylic enamel or single stage urethane so if you have an issue it can be fixed and repainted without having reaction problems, and you would have better gloss longer. there are some enamel or urethane kits out there for under $100.

Thanks for the info.
Any particular suggestions on the kits, (and what might be your preference there?)

I've got their stuff ina spray bomb on my manure hauling trailer. I'm rather happy with it. It's a few years old now and it's held up really good. I pulled the trailer out of my buddy's mother's woods, sanded and painted it, added some new tires, and started using it. It's not the shiniest stuff, but it is tough as nails and even with being left out in the full summer sun it's never faded. Again - no clear over it though.

I used the black to paint my nephews neon and then I used what was left over on the faded roof and hood of my Chrysler Lebaron. I works great. But after a few days (yes I said days) it starts to orange peel. I have not experimented to see what Iam doing wrong. But, it seems that it dries to touch and then it continues to dry for a week or so and keeps crinkling up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It is easy to use.

I would check out TCP global in there restoration line first. They have very decent paint kits in single stage and base/clear. Somebody used that tractor **** on my charger and it has been a total nightmare trying to sand and remove it. Its like it never really dried

The Rustoleum Calvin used on his Duster sure turned out good. Bout 27 bucks a gallon at Lowes.

I would check out TCP global in there restoration line first. They have very decent paint kits in single stage and base/clear. Somebody used that tractor **** on my charger and it has been a total nightmare trying to sand and remove it. Its like it never really dried

thats what I'm talkin about, if you try and paint over it , it will lift, turn into wrinkle finish. The amount of work it can create not worth the cost savings if you plan to put a nice paint job on later or try to repair.

To the op , Nason single stage urethane used to be my go to for budget paint job, but the prices have doubled lately. I think some of the paint out there that is being marketed is repackaged Kirker products such as what TCP global sells possibly Eastwood and Summit from what I see. I have an old chevy beater p-up I'm getting ready to do and have purchased Kirker through Autobodytoolmart.com. Also available through www.smartshoppersinc.com

It will be a few weeks before I can comment on how the stuff works as I'm waiting for the weather to break a bit. I have been happy with the 2k kirker primer so far.

To the op , Nason single stage urethane used to be my go to for budget paint job, but the prices have doubled lately. I think some of the paint out there that is being marketed is repackaged Kirker products such as what TCP global sells possibly Eastwood and Summit from what I see. I have an old chevy beater p-up I'm getting ready to do and have purchased Kirker through Autobodytoolmart.com. Also available through www.smartshoppersinc.com

It will be a few weeks before I can comment on how the stuff works as I'm waiting for the weather to break a bit. I have been happy with the 2k kirker primer so far.

For a budget job Nason is great! Kirker is also a great paint! I shoot everything in base clear! PPG's Shopline is another good one. With the Kirker you can also use it as a single stage! But, the clear is not much more and adds really nice depth. You can typically wet sand a buff the clear after a few hours.

For a budget job Nason is great! Kirker is also a great paint! I shoot everything in base clear! PPG's Shopline is another good one. With the Kirker you can also use it as a single stage! But, the clear is not much more and adds really nice depth. You can typically wet sand a buff the clear after a few hours.

I bought a kit and am going to clear it.I am also going to try the lazer dry. Shop line is pretty good. Last time I was in local ppg jobber they could only mix the color I wanted in the waterborne base, I didn't want to go there and didn't go as far as getting a price. I really miss painting a car with 2 quarts of DBU and 1/2 gal of 2001 clear lol The new is not improved lol

Take a look at Summits single stage line up.
I know for a fact that their Base / clear lays like glass.
Here is the engine compartment I shot a couple of weeks ago with Summit B/C.

opBPFj.jpg

pics never do paintwork justice, but that looks like it came out pretty slick. Did that base dry fast enough to tack between coats or not?

I use the Dimension line from Sherwin Williams, acrylic enamel single stage.
I know it cost more than non-auto paint.
But for as much trouble as it is to paint a car, I would not cut corners that much.
I tired "regular" enamel once on a truck.
Ok for that, but never again.

I have used the tractor enamels on floors as a sealer, tough, durable, sometimes has hard time curing/drying. probably goes on so thick, is the cause, and spraying it surely would require a thinner. I have had good luck with TCP Global acrylic urethane. like he said, for all the work to prep, use a decent sealer and topcoat, is my thoughts.
not sure what the tractor restor guys use, probably high dollar base/clear!???? LOL

I have used the tractor supply paint and have good and not so good results. I would not paint a car with it. We painted an Oliver with it and it faded out in two years. I do use the black for under hood stuff but it takes forever to dry, even using the hardener.

pics never do paintwork justice, but that looks like it came out pretty slick. Did that base dry fast enough to tack between coats or not?

When I shot the engine bay it was snowing.
About 30 degrees outside.
I heated the garage up to 70 deg, turned the exhaust fan on, shut the heat off, after shooting one coat the garage was about 60 deg.
Turn the fan off after the fumes cleared out, heated it back up to around 70 deg and put down the next coat.
It took about 30 minutes to tack in the cold temperatures.

Yes it is pretty slick, no orange peal, a few dust "bunnies" but I had to climb over the radiator support, using a ladder so most dust came off me.

Just a thought, if you decided to go over the TSC paint later, using a waterborn sealer may not give you a reaction problem. And the paint is cheap enough that if you bought like a pint you could do a test panel and then in a few months sand it and try painting with a BC/CC system just to see.

Take a look at Summits single stage line up.
I know for a fact that their Base / clear lays like glass.
Here is the engine compartment I shot a couple of weeks ago with Summit B/C.

opBPFj.jpg

Looks really good. Don't forget to flat black the front of the radiator support so you don't see orange through the grille. tmm

Here's the International Harvester red from Tractor Supply. I used the acrylic catalyst with a naptha reducer. It went on easy, dried slick, seems to be holding the shine pretty well.
It's a good paint for tractors, lawnmowers, trailers and such. I wouldn't want to use it for the car.
My neighbor used TSC black for a guide coat and ended up with bubbles all over his truck! That's probably the incompatability issue everyone's talking about.

I bought some Nason single-stage at O'reilleys for the car trunk and engine compartment. I may use it for the rest of the car - can't decide. It's not cheap! $50 a qt.

Looks really good. Don't forget to flat black the front of the radiator support so you don't see orange through the grille. tmm

Plan on it!!

Sad thing is I am giving this car to my kid when he turns 16 for his first car.
340 4-speed, 4.30 gear.

We will see what happens, he is a real responsible but who Knows???

Hijack off

Trail Beast paint your car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
Back