Found my dads original 1971 duster!

-
Power brakes is a plus and its on there so enjoy the no leg effort stops. Don't over think stuff get it running and driving take it from there.
Agreed! I think I’m over thinking lots. But mostly just trying to figure out the puzzle! Can’t wait to drive it

At the end of the day, you're not going to ever sell the car given its family connection. So make the changes now to suit your intended driving habits.
Nobody will knock you for that.

Cool car and a cool story. Congrats on grabbing the car back to where it belongs. :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot! Yep, my kids will be driving the old girl one day….and telling the story. Pretty cool to know that

New question for you guys! I talked to the builder yesterday. He says that while steering the car, the steering hits the oil filter. He says that he needs to sort out why that is. Any ideas?? He didn’t sound too overly concerned. Just said that he had to sort it out. I know he had parts from 2 cars to build mine out of, in case some of my parts were unusable….I’m wondering if some steering systems might have been slightly different?? Thanks!

New question for you guys! I talked to the builder yesterday. He says that while steering the car, the steering hits the oil filter. He says that he needs to sort out why that is. Any ideas?? He didn’t sound too overly concerned. Just said that he had to sort it out. I know he had parts from 2 cars to build mine out of, in case some of my parts were unusable….I’m wondering if some steering systems might have been slightly different?? Thanks!

Does Your car/motor have the 90 degree oil filter adapter? ...it should have...

20190918_162009-jpg.jpg

Ohhhhhh. I will ask him this! Thank you!
The builder is saying that he thinks engine builder didn’t reuse the same part as was on it when I pulled the engine. I’m not sure from pictures. It’s hard, when I don’t understand what it’s supposed to look like. He says that if he turns it to face then rear, the bell housing is in the way

BDB2D258-BE44-4DC4-916C-69FCD20CE642.jpeg

60C646B1-19A7-4C65-9A69-150FA5FC00C4.jpeg

It wouldn't clear the engine cart. You just need to loosen it and turn it back to the correct position. You might need a new gasket.

It wouldn't clear the engine cart. You just need to loosen it and turn it back to the correct position. You might need a new gasket.
That’s what I said the the builder. But he says that bellhousing sticks out to same level as filter. I’ll keep everyone posted. He just said that he turned it and it’s clearing the steering now. Says he doesn’t think its my original part (90 degree adapter, I’m assuming he means). But I don’t see how or why it wouldn’t be. Doesn’t seem like a big deal anyway! Thanks everyone! This forum has been a godsend :)

I wonder if the 90 degree adapter needs to be removed to get it orientated correctly and it can't just be rotated. There is a different adapter that doesn't fit (as I recall), but I think it is aluminum. If yours is iron, it should be correct.

Filter adapter looks correct from what I can see. Never knew of different styles or types of adapters only one that can be turned to meet your needs.

I wonder if the 90 degree adapter needs to be removed to get it orientated correctly and it can't just be rotated. There is a different adapter that doesn't fit (as I recall), but I think it is aluminum. If yours is iron, it should be correct.
Yes I have had the aluminum and cast adapter but they are the same other than the material which they're made of.

Yes I have had the aluminum and cast adapter but they are the same other than the material which they're made of.

As I recall, the later cop car Diplomats or something had an adapter, but the angle of the filter was different. Seems like they wouldn't work, but maybe it was just that had to be rotated different. I've never installed one, so not saying I am right. Just seems like I have heard something like that.

Ya, I wondered that as well. I’m not exactly sure how they work. Thanks!

Surprised they didn't notice oil filter housing pointing the wrong way and corrected prior to engine install? Never seen anyone having filter pointing forward like that? But small issue that can be corrected with engine in car.

Surprised they didn't notice oil filter housing pointing the wrong way and corrected prior to engine install? Never seen anyone having filter pointing forward like that? But small issue that can be corrected with engine in car.
Ya. He still says that it can’t be turned without hitting. But I think the whole assembly needs to be taken off and turned or something. He says it’s out of the way of the steering now, but it looks weird to me, facing the front of the car. Hopefully it’s ok to run it like that until I can figure it out, once I pick it up

798D1C83-3FE9-46AD-88EB-4B6C4E8C09BC.jpeg

-
Back