Fram Oil Filters- American Made!

-

TF360

Reaction score
So I was looking where some oil filters are made, and I noticed that Fram is still made here in America! Most others it seems are made in China. I used Fram for many years without problem, but I kind of started buying other brands that past few years. So it looks like I'm going to go back exclusively to Fram, and you can still get the old PH43 or 8A. What do you guys think?

Fram is likely the worst filter you could buy, I don't care where it's made. Cut one open and look at the filter medium. I recommend Wix filters. Napa Gold are made by Wix. In all honesty, Fram is trash.

Wix are made in China. Have you cut all of them open? That's hard to believe. The Chinese have copied all our technology, and I'm sure filters are no different

Fram filters are a basic cardboard element filter.
I’ve never had a problem with one and changed them regularly.

I picked up one yesterday, an it seems they changed the filter media to a better material

I'd be less worried about where it is made, than how it is made. Don't take my word for it, do some research on the subject.

The box says a special blend of fibers and resin for the filters material, and it seems they added some new models. The one I picked up for my son's car was a Fram Force-15,000 mile filter

Just my two cents. As long as fram has been in business they must be doing something right.

There are countless oil filter comparison videos on you tube and fram is always in the bottom tier. Wix always ranks high. China will make anything to the customers specification. They are capable of making quality stuff even though its not usually the case.
I had a fram filter rupture on me and spew oil all over my headers.

Wix are made in China. Have you cut all of them open? That's hard to believe. The Chinese have copied all our technology, and I'm sure filters are no different
No. WIX is global now. You may get China. You may get USA or any number of countries where factories are making WIX filters now. They are not all made in China. Not by a long shot.

I've been using Baldwin oil filters for about 8 years, you can get them through Grainger. Beefy high-quality filter and were around $8-$9 as of last summer (I usually buy 5-6 at a time). They're global like Wix but are used a lot in industrial, commercial, heavy-duty applications and the brand has been around since the 1930s. The model I get is B34 to fit older Mopar engines btw.

I just bring it up because it seems most filters you buy in stores vary a lot in price and quality every year or so.

Well, I have always used Fram, and I have NEVER had an oil related problem. Now I DO change my oil and filter more often than suggested, so that probably helps. In my modern cars, I change every 5,000 miles for full synthetic when the manufacturer suggests 7500 miles, and I change the Barracuda about every 3,000 on full synthetic. Just my $0.02. Fram has been very good for me.

The only filter that I've ever had a problem with was a WIX for the 2.7 in my old 2002 Sebring Limited convertible. Low oil pressure the day after the oil change. A new WIX fixed the problem. I haven't used Fram in many years, though. I can get the factory Hyundai filter at O'Reilly for the 2020.

I have a friend that uses Fram exclusively. Never had a problem. I use them off as d on as other are not readily available. No problems either. Kim

Fram is likely the worst filter you could buy, I don't care where it's made. Cut one open and look at the filter medium. I recommend Wix filters. Napa Gold are made by Wix. In all honesty, Fram is trash.

My 400k Neon engine that got maybe 5 oil changes from 130k to dropping a valve at well over 400k would beg to differ. Mobil1 makes more of a difference than anything.

That said, I only use OEM filters now, even though they come off the same line.

Friend of mine's neighbor had a Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 engine that would randomly lose oil pressure then be ok again after shutting it off for awhile. It happened several times before he parked it then gave it to my friend as he bought something else. My friend tries it and same issue. I ask him what kind of filter it was running as I've heard of this before with Fram Filters and sure enough the previous owner had the oil changed not long before the problem started up and they had installed a cheapo Fram filter. I told him to replace it with a quality filter like a Wix and see what happens. Problem gone. He drove it for a couple years and sold it to a relative who used it for another couple years.
I'd never put a Fram filter on anything I own or work on for someone else. I generally use Wix but sometimes Denso or AC Delco on the DD if they're a good deal on Rock Auto

In addition to the usual Quality aspects & Actual performance, like a fruit, give your Top 4 picks the "squeeze" test.....There Can be quite a difference in wall thickness....

Not all Fram....Have you used an HP1?

I've never had a problem with any oil filter....and I've used Fram in the past.

Well......let me clarify. I DID have an oil filter issue once. I was a kid.....17 I think and built a warmed up Chevy 350. Lotsa cam, lotsa compression.....so I figure lotsa oil pressure is good, right? The oil pumps on small and big blocks interchange, so continuing with the more is better attitude, I put a big block Chevy HV, HP oil pump on it. I don't remember what brand filter it was. AS SOON AS it fired and got some RPM, with the Stewart Warner gauge BURIED, I heard a POOF and the OP went to zero so I shut it down. I looked under the car and there was the oil filter.....what was left. All ballooned and blown apart. The threaded section stayed on the engine. But that wasn't the filter's fault. That was my dumbass fault. I swapped a small block pump in and it was fine.

The O Reilly brand fuel filter (darn near new) for my Cummins actually split across the bottom one Sunday with me 200 mi. from home in the Tx. no mans land. Fuel puking out and getting 4 mpg till I could get to a store. Not fun.

-
Back