Frame rail options

-

TheSkunk

Reaction score
Hey guys first post been a long time reader, and you guys always seem to have the answers lol,

I have a 1972 Dart that has been my baby sense high school but the front subframe has a spot about 12-14" rusted out on each frame rail between the k member and torsion bar brace. Rest of the frame rail seems to be solid still.

My question is what are my options? Should i cut and paste steel in the rusted sections, saftey cap the frame rails, or iv been looking at Auto Welds "long" front frame rail kit as well. Plz np start with a different car i understand attachment can make things cost 10xs more but it was my first car and worth the cost to build it.

I plan to make decent power (500-600) out of a stroker 440 in the next couple of years but have to make sure the unibody can handle it before i drop the money on the engine build and rest of the car. Thanks!!

Pic of my car for attention lol

Dart snow.jpg

I would get either donor rails or reproduction rails. The caps are a bandaid in my opinion as it'll still rust under those. Copy and pasting steel is an option but I think with the amount of time involved, I'd just do new rails.

Keep us posted as I'm getting ready to do the same thing on my 74.

i would definitely opt for donor rails,,,,mine were rotted on top,,,patching them properly seemed like more labour than just replacing the whole rail with a good donor. good solid rails are relatively inexpensive and easy to find on here.

Behind the cradle mount is probably the worst place for things to be rusted out structurally. Surprised it hasn't folded already.

I really don't have any recommendations without seeing the damage and seeing what thes caps look like.

Section of a rail on these old cars wouldn't bother me if correctly sleeved. You aren't dealing with crush zones or advanced high strength steel that gets destroyed with heat but you will need to get things cut back to good metal.

I would opt for the donor/replacement rails. Very common to have rust through on the top side of the rail at the upper control arm mounts.

Thanks guys I figured a replacement rail would be best but no one reproduces em to my knowledge and is tough to find unrusted donor rails here in the salt belt. Thats why i was wondering if anyone had experience with auto welds front frame rail kit. I will start keeping an eye out tho for donor rails.

I would send pics of the rails but im currently 3 hrs away from the car. What rust iv found is on the bottom side of the rails, when i discovered this after i bought the car i immediately parked it for fear of destroying the car.

i would contact whitepunkonitro,,,,he has had quite a few front rails for sale here,,and he takes parts requests and has come thru for me with good solid metal

I would replace the rails. With rust you have to figure there's twice as much there as what you've already seen, and that's on the conservative side. Based on what you described I wouldn't try to patch them, it will be a lot more work. You'll have to find donors because as of right now the rails aren't reproduced. Crackedback or whitepunkonitro might be able to help, shipping the rails isn't actually that bad.

just out of curiosity because it will eventual become a strip car more then street what are my options if i go with a tube chassis front clip or full tube chassis?
go with a set of basic front frame square tube stubs and mustang II front end like the nova and camaro guys do? I understand there would be a lot of fab work but i can see this being a much better investment latter on and possibly better clearance opportunities?

At this point im trying to look at all possible options

when I bought mine the original owner/builder replaced the front rails with 2x3"s from the rear crossmember forward. it was even built to ,mount the factory k and a tilt nose (steel). now its a hemi denny k with nose bars tied to the a pillars. so it can be done

20140509_200755.jpg

I will let you know whitepunkonitro. Il be a bit pre occupied graduating college next month n moving back homme but will get ahold of you if needed as soon as i get to work on the car. Right now trying to plan before i start on it.

68cudda408 any idea if it was all custom? That looks really clean and would love to go tube front clip.

The rails looked pro built and the factory k fit perfect.whoever installed the stock shock mounts did a great job.the rail installation itself done in the 70's, um,not so pro.all fixed though.

The kit on jegs looks very promising thanks for pointing that out i must of missed it last time i was diging threw there website.

All i find on AMDs site is B and E body front rails? Im needing to replace the front and thanks the car cleans up really well in pictures lol

The kit on jegs looks very promising thanks for pointing that out i must of missed it last time i was diging threw there website.
Digging is definitely the right word to describe using Jegs website. I can't be the only one who finds it beyond frustrating.

That Alston frame is definitely interesting. I could definitely see welding a cross member to the factory rear rails, and then sectioning in the front of that frame. You could retain the back seat, tie the front to the rear, and be all set for an M2 front end.

Yeah no kidding idk what jegs was thinking... Defiantly frustrating

But i am digging the thought of the alston frame. Like you said i could tie the front sub frame to the rear like most sfc's, still retain stock style leaf springs out back, and have the updated front end. Sounds like a great combo in my opinion.

I'm definitely calling Alston to get some answers. The Jegs photo is not what you get. The description does match Alston's site though. Supposedly it comes with a dropped trans cross member, cross member for the rack, and set up for coil or strut. If it's set up for M2 it would be perfect. Could tie it into the core support to retain the mounting points for the sheet metal, lights, grill, ect. Then cut away the inner fenders, but retain the top section for fender mounting. Then fab up removable inner fenders for easy access. I'm liking what I'm seeing in my head.

Couldn't tell you. I don't recall AMD ever making frame rails for A-bodies. Which is why there are so many threads on here looking for donor frame rails.

I am in the same boat. I just bought a car that some body installed a mustang II front end on the 75 dart sport. My problem is should I try and fix what they put under it or put the factory rails back in it. But after reading this post, sounds like it might be harder that I thought. Meaning trying to find a good set of rails to weld back in it.
My problem is who ever installed the mustang II put it in 4 inches narrower than the factory frame rails. So I don't see me being able to use a shelf header for my magnum 360. Also I need to fab a better steering rack mount

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0169.JPG

-
Back