Frame rail replacement

-

'67barracuda

inaiana cuda
Reaction score
After getting the /6 out of my barracuda I finally got a good look at the drivers side frame rail, I knew it had rust damage but at least 12 inches of the rail is gone! I dont think a frame cap will fix this so I want to replace the rail with one from texas acers, if anyone else has done this a little advice would be welcome.

Dale

Wish I could help you.
I've got similar issues with mine. The upper A-arm mounts are wiped out. I'm thinking about using some stuff from Autorust.com. Ever heard of them or used their parts?

I'm looking at repairing the same area on my dart. It is going in the shop this winter to start the resto. We need to find a good source of info, not sure I have got the cajolies to take this task on. Not sure how to determine if a cap will do the job or do I replace the rail. What is the criteria???

Iam parting out a 66 art, not too sure if the frame rail would be the same or not, but if so I will make sure not to cut it up and pull it out in one piece. did the same thing a few years ago for another person. As for what it would take ot put it back in, I am not too sure.

Not sure about putting a cap on, mine is to far gone, but I did luck into a couple of guys today at the Ducktail run that have extra rails and complete cars to sell for parts. If they call I will pass phone numbers along.

Dale

I had to replace mine on a 67 Barracuda too. Both my front rails weren't any good. Try getting the whole rail front to torsion bar mount (back). Check those crossmembers too.

Its so much easier if you can get rails with inner fenders attached. I had to use an air chisel to remove the rails, and it made a mess of the original inner fenders. A plasma cutter would have been great. Its a big job. Any A body 67-74 should fit , I think.

I got my rails/inner fenders from a 73 Duster.

I had to replace mine on a 67 Barracuda too. Both my front rails weren't any good. Try getting the whole rail front to torsion bar mount (back). Check those crossmembers too.

Its so much easier if you can get rails with inner fenders attached. I had to use an air chisel to remove the rails, and it made a mess of the original inner fenders. A plasma cutter would have been great. Its a big job. Any A body 67-74 should fit , I think.

I got my rails/inner fenders from a 73 Duster.

There are maybe a dozen spot welds attaching inner fender to the frame rail and shock tower. A spot weld cutter or just a good drill would have worked. I can just imagine the mess made with an air chisel. We all do what we can with what we have though. :)
My uncle who is an old school body man showed me to cut and piece on a diagonal (longer welds) just below the firewall. We hammer fit square tubing scabs inside also. Probably the strongest part of the frame rails now.

Redfish, can you give me a little more info on the repair you were talking about. Sounds interesting, don' know if it will work for me or not, but it's worth a look.

Dale

-
Back