Frame upgrades 68 Dart

-

gtokid1

Reaction score
68 Dart torque box's what location and proper installation?
Also frame connecters what are you using and install methods.

Thanks

Check out the chassis stiffening kit from US Cartool. I installed the entire kit from them, and it made a dramatic difference in the car. I also welded up the K-member, the torsion bar cross-member and welded the front shock towers solidly to the inner fenderwells.

My car has a complete cage, but in regards to chassis mods, we welded in 2x3 square tubing as frame connectors after cutting a channel into the floorpan then welding it the full length. It makes for a nice, stiff foundation for the cage but you may have an issue with seat mounts depending on what seats you use. We also welded in a large, thick washer at the A-arm mounting holes to reinforce those points in the event of wheelstands & to simply add strength to 40+ year old sheetmetal. The "snout bars" or front runners for the 'cage are welded to the shock mounts for extra strength and are outside the engine compartment to provide more room & give a stock appearance to the engine bay.

Take a look at this picture of the underside of my car and you can see where the torque boxes are welded into the frame just in front of the rear fender opening and just behind the front fender opening. The subframe connectors are then welded into the two obvious open ends of the long frame of the car in front of and behind those boxes. I bought the frame stiffening kit from US Cartool. Their parts were excellent and basically fit right into the frame without much massaging.

BigBlockDart.com has a how to with pictures for frame connecters. I did mine less then $50. and a Saturday afternoon.

I purchased the US Cartool kit. The subframe connectors and toque boxes went on with fitting. I found them to be plenty tough enough but I did make some mods to the rad core support for additional stiffness since I was removing my stock support.

Subfame fitting

20160204_154001_zps5azxgtzt.jpg

Core support sectioned 1.5" tubing fitting

20160323_165106_zps018odorn.jpg

Core support fitting to frame

20160325_183511_zpsbfwywn6e.jpg

Finished piece

20160330_113550_zpsgzlfuakv.jpg

-
Back