Fresh 727 first start up

-

Craig Burriss

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I finally got another 727 transmission for my RamCharger and rebuilt it with a stock rebuild kit.
I filled the converter with fluid before putting the trans in the truck.
Now I’m wondering how much fluid I should put in it before I start the engine for the first time. I’m assuming it should be in neutral when I start it, right?
Any tips on what I should do?
This is my first transmission rebuild.
Also, how do you recommend cleaning out metal contaminated fluid from the trans cooler in the radiator?
Thanks.

Yes on clean out.

Start with 5 to 6 quarts at least. Deep pan?

Yes on clean out.

Start with 5 to 6 quarts at least. Deep pan?
Stock pan, planning on a completely different drivetrain later on so I’m not spending much on this one.
I was planning on cleaning out the trans cooler but was wondering how to do it.
Thanks

After putting in the required amount of trans fluid I always put the rear end on jacks and run it through the gears filling the trans as I go. If you have put fluid in until it shows "full" on the dip stick you should be able to run it through the gears with the rear end up on jacks without causing any damage. But yes, clean out the cooler first but remember, that will require more fluid before start up. I never put a new trans in gear with the rear wheels on the ground.

The trans cooler should be flushed with a solvent. Is it the stock cooler built in the radiator?
Blow it out with air first to get most of the fluid out. You will have to make some fittings up and put hose on them. One to put solvent in and a second with a hose running in a bucket to catch everything on the way out.

I fill the trans above the full mark. You can put it in neutral and then start it for about 15 seconds then check the level. If its off the dipstick shut down then add a quart. Repeat process. Once its showing on the stick you can leave it running without damaging anything. Just top off like normal, make sure your in neutral.
Block the wheels when doing this in case your shift linkage is not adjusted correctly.

Started it up for the first time with the fresh trans. I didn’t install the driveshafts yet so I could safely fill it with fluid. I also cleaned out the trans cooler and lines with some brake cleaner and compressed air. So far it looks like it has all gears! I haven’t tried to drive it yet, but I will be in the next few days.

It did not blow the yoke out? Assuming it was in!

Put it back together all the way today and drove it around the yard. Seems to be good so far. I need to work on the brakes before I take it out on the road.

The 727 in my W100 is a short shaft to the T-case.

Yes. Took me by surprise as well. I like the divorced case!

I always start with two gallons.

-
Back