Fresh build for my black 69

-

skips dart

Reaction score
Thought I would post my combo,original 340 block for this car, sonic checked .050 over,line honed crank bores,K-1 3.79 forged crank,Scat forged rods,custom Diamond forged pistons,balanced and assembled NOT by me, IMM prepped RHS heads,XE275HL comp cam, hughes 1.6 rockers, RPM air gap,700 holley dp and MSD spark.
Made 397 Hp x 463 trq at the rear wheels thru 1 5/8 headers, doing the math, pretty happy with the flywheel horse power.Not bad for a 9:to 1 motor( the gas aint getting any better)
Makes its power down low for a good street brawler.
Might jump to a 750 dp and 1 3/4 pipes, should only get better.

Attachments

• air cleaner 044.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 447
its a stroker....i think it makes it a 372?? but not sure...or is that a 340 with a 3.58" crank that makes it a 372? anyways, cool build.

Pretty good power from a small cam and low'ish compression. Let us know how it drives and feels!
Brian

The motor has a K-1 3.79" stroke forged crank and at .050 over works out to 398 cu. in.
The cam was purchased with the heads before I decided to short stroke it, thought I would try it anyway, pobably would be even better with a 285 or even 295 comp.We reduced and shaped the valve guide bosses and picked up a little more flow out of the heads.
Overall pretty happy with the combo,I'll let you know how it drives with the 4 speed, should be a reliable tire shreader.
Seeing the results whats your thoughts on the cam Brian H.
Thanks

950HP carb would be much better. All depends on how much street driving you do...larger cams are less street friendly!

Very impressive ! Guess cubes rule . That's like 450 HP 500+TQ at the crank , yeah that will shred tires easily . It could even use a bit more carb for ultimate go , but I'd be happy with the combo as is

Thanks for the input Brian, it will be test and tune with some different bolt ons to see how they effect performance.It is mainly a street driven car and will see some weekend track time,should be fun.

Looks solid.

Should run up around 118-120mph in the 1/4 if it weighs 3200 or so.

Off a cliff because that's where the pull likely ended.

Just to let you know how the dart drives with this motor--its just wild with the 4 spd, just have to be carefull as it comes unglued and goes sideways in any of the first 3 gears with the present tires and suspension setup. The power is amazing and is instant like a light switch--has a nice aggresive idle, waiting for a new driveshaft from Dennys as I think the old stock shaft won,t handle the torq when the sticky tires go on. Went to a local mopar show and shine last night and went home with 1st place trophy and sponser goodies--- kind of cool for its first outing on the new motor.
Maybe see some of you guys at the nationals in columbus this wk end, going with a friend as crew , he is racing an orange 73 Duster in top sportsman --goes mid to low 7's 180 mph should be fun.

We won #1 in the Quick 16 at the nationals in Columbus on the weekend in Jeff Gabels orange duster on a 7.61 dial in, it was pretty cool to be part of the crew.

might wanna tell the dyno operator to fix the scaling on the graph......rpm and tq have to be equal at 5252 rpm.

Thanks for that, I am going to be trying a 950 HP as Brian suggested earlier and we will see how that works---20 hp would be a good thing!!!

Hey SkipsDart,was nice meeting/seeing you at the track lastnight.Yes the 950dp should help a bunch compared to the 6-pac.Private message me before the next time you head out to the track.I can meet you there.

Guys Skips Dart looks amazing and is quite the healthy build.I seen his friends Orange Duster at the Pro-mods event at the local track(Cayuga Dragway)this past saturday.All I can say is WOW what a nice fast Mopar.:D Pics I took of the Orange Duster...
View attachment Racing the 66 Dart 083.jpg

View attachment Racing the 66 Dart 084.jpg

View attachment Racing the 66 Dart 085.jpg

Yes likewise Petty Blue, your car works really well and those are great shots of Jeffs Duster. The car I had down there was my green 6 pack dart, I am leaving the 6 pack on that one--- work in progress---the 12.46 ET was a little disappionting that night for a 410 motor--Im learning everyday $--, its getting head and cam work this winter and will be a different animal next season.The car thats getting the 950HP is my black dart which I have not raced yet, its a 398 cube motor and it is at least a second faster than the 410 motor I estimate by the seat of the pants meter.Just doing a gear change and hope to get it down for some TT before the track shuts down.Thanks again for the kind words and great pics.

Hey Skip,wednesday nights T&T end at the end of the month.They run into October on the weekends(weather permitting)that,s when my car runs it,s best,hoping to squeak a 10.70 out of it this years end.Looking forward to seeing your black car:glasses7:.I,ll let you know if Mike and I are headed out on Wed. night.Maybe checkout the AED 850 or 950 carbs,Summit now carry,s them at resonable prices.Great carbs!

Well was not happy with the performance of my green 6 pack dart so we took it apart and reconfigured it. Sent the mopar big valve heads(eddy,s) & 6 pac intake to Brian at IMM for some port work(great work),installed Comp flat solid cam and PRW 1.6 rockers also from Brian.Opened up the bores in the 340 R3 block to 4.070 that took it from 410 to a 416 cu.in. ,changed from flat top pistons that where to far in the hole(mopar crate motor for ya) to dished Diamonds at zero.The 4" arm and rods are forged steel.
Anyway made 437 HP x 473 TQ at the rear wheels thats in the 500 + range at the flywheel, should wake the little Dart up some.Probably could make more power changing the 6 pak out for a single 4 barrel but that aint going to happen. Dyno sheet pic to follow. Cheers :D

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    425.3 KB · Views: 110
-
Back