Friend’s motorhome caught fire on the way home from keystone

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Luckily his son was following and the were able to disconnect the race car trailer with their two dragsters inside.

Don't say it can't happen to you......one of the wildest and unfortunate things I've ever witnessed. Went up in a hurry.....and I'm damn glad I was behind him on the ride home or we would have lost the trailer as well....Was able to drag the motorhome away from the trailer before it got ugly...thanks so much to everyone who has already reached out and for Bob Deniker and Karen Deniker for the tow of the trailer. We are safe and home now.

IMG_3508.jpeg

IMG_3507.jpeg

IMG_3506.jpeg

IMG_3505.jpeg

IMG_3504.jpeg

Shittay, I'm glad everyone is okay and the dragsters.
WTF caused that ?

What a shame.

Glad everyone is safe.

I had to laugh at the photo of the guy with the fire vest on and shorts and flip flops

Shittay, I'm glad everyone is okay and the dragsters.
WTF caused that ?

Those big rear engine diesel motorhomes build a lot of heat. Add towing a big trailer, 90 degree temperature plus humidity, and I’m pretty sure it happened climbing a hill. This is probably my 4-5 friend that this has happened to. My one buddy from Ohio lost his car trailer too.

Those big rear engine diesel motorhomes build a lot of heat. Add towing a big trailer, 90 degree temperature plus humidity, and I’m pretty sure it happened climbing a hill. This is probably my 4-5 friend that this has happened to
I wonder if the trailer is some how blocking airflow to the pusher?

Those big rear engine diesel motorhomes build a lot of heat. Add towing a big trailer, 90 degree temperature plus humidity, and I’m pretty sure it happened climbing a hill. This is probably my 4-5 friend that this has happened to. My one buddy from Ohio lost his car trailer too.
Jeez, comfort sure is expensive

Does it seem to you guys that this is happening far more often than it used to?

Trailer fires too.

Just seems strange.

We traded our 2011 Itasca Sunova gas class A in for a 2006 Tiffin Phaeton diesel pusher class A last October. I never gave a second thought to the rig catching on fire until after we made the trade and all of a sudden I was seeing posts and news clips about diesel rigs catching fire. I was a little concerned towing back from New England Dragway yesterday in 95 degree heat but all went well. It's only about a 90 mile tow and only a couple of hills along the way. Glad these folks are okay and they were able to disconnect the trailer in time, though that had to be very uncomfortable until it disconnected!

Luckily his son was following and the were able to disconnect the race car trailer with their two dragsters inside.

Don't say it can't happen to you......one of the wildest and unfortunate things I've ever witnessed. Went up in a hurry.....and I'm damn glad I was behind him on the ride home or we would have lost the trailer as well....Was able to drag the motorhome away from the trailer before it got ugly...thanks so much to everyone who has already reached out and for Bob Deniker and Karen Deniker for the tow of the trailer. We are safe and home now.

View attachment 1716273326

View attachment 1716273327

View attachment 1716273328

View attachment 1716273329

View attachment 1716273330
Not sure where this was at but we passed one outside Lexington Kentucky yesterday on 64. Fire department was already there.

Glad they’re okay

Does it seem to you guys that this is happening far more often than it used to?

Trailer fires too.

Just seems strange.
It’s all the oils in plastics and fabrics these days.

In the 1980s, the average house fire, you had about 30 minutes before a room always totally in gulfed in flames. Now, it’s less than 3 minutes.

Remember back when we used to have covered wagons...this never happened unless some asshole shot a flaming arrow and it hit the gun powder

I asked my friend how they got the trailer separated from the motorhome. He said he pulled dads motorhome away with his truck. As bad as this was a lot of good happened here too. Very lucky he was following Dad.

I asked my friend how they got the trailer separated from the motorhome. He said he pulled dads motorhome away with his truck. As bad as this was a lot of good happened here too. Very lucky he was following Dad.
I'd like to know how the heck they uncoupled the trailer from the hitch with that fire right in their faces!

I'd like to know how the heck they uncoupled the trailer from the hitch with that fire right in their faces!

Like I told Matt his son this was the perfect storm. Nice place to pull over, Matt being right behind dad with his truck, two or three experienced people, probably a long A frame on the car trailer, not on the steep part of the hill

In a situation like that maybe pull the pin from the receiver, unhook the 2 chains and pull it away, don't worry about the trailer plug or the breakaway cable, just get it away as quick as possible.

I too would love to know what was done to separate the trailer.

Nothing on the hitch I can see
Screenshot_20240711-203901.png

Stabilizers?
Screenshot_20240711-203538~2.png

Perhaps the fire was contained inside the engine covers.

-
Back