Friends, lovers, Chevy cretins....Let's unf*ck a Six Pack

-
Just pretend for a moment......................................

Hmmm, as is, does this pivot move and cause the outboards to open when you open the center carb or does it stay where its at?

1704844434634.png

Its what you need.................

True, if you pull out the lead plugs.
I'm ok with this. The EPA didn't mandate this idiocy in my alternate timeline 1975.
My old Mopar buddy that had raced, built motors, you name it....burned down his $400,000 home with what ya got there!!!
Wife was not happy. Be careful!
How? What's the fire risk?
The choke plate should be flat.

View attachment 1716189999
Is it possible that the 340 is flat and the 440 isn't?
Post some close ups of the linkage, it looks like you have mechanical linkage on the vacuum setup
It's a solid rod, but doesn't mechanically actuate the outer carbs. It only forces them closed. Not sure why they would replace the factory linkage but since there's a bunch of new linkage sets on the market today, I guess that's common.

Do I really need a new throttle cable or will my small block 2bbl cable work?

bought this setup a guy had on a boat , he's made it mech linkage and removed the vac pods from the out board carbs , since mounting it i've refined the linkage , still mech , no vac pods

DSC04018.JPG

DSC04020.JPG

DSC04021.JPG

picked up a barry grant set of demons for a six pack , put them on a b block six pack intake . came with this linkage and fuel tubes .

DSC02026.JPG

DSC02027.JPG

0A442669-B4D3-4A32-9197-177052F56C00.jpg

I made a 4 barrel Lokar cable work. But, this is temporary as I am going back to a tunnel ram and just wanted to try the six pack.
If you plan on using the six pack setup long term, I would buy the proper cable.
Like I said before, nothing is cheap when it comes to these.

image.jpg

image.jpg

i've run a twin inline fours and the six pack set ups , and on my 383 the twin fours (pair of 660 cfm holleys) won out on the top end but for low end the six pack won out . i've got a e body with a six pack and it roars top to bottom it's just power . that demon setup is for a 383 driver .

DSC00961.JPG

Scan0013_0013.jpg

DSC03361.JPG

Also, I'm seeing single piece and three piece kickdown linkage, which would correct for a later factory style build?

IMO, try it with that '69-'70 bracket in your 1st picture first.

What's the correct cable for an A body? All I see are B/E?
There isn't one exclusively for a six pack.

My stock '69 bb 4bbl worked but had to be pulled further back in the bracket. The plates still opened fully.

1704934933071.png

Regarding air cleaners, if you are not set on using factory correct then you may want to consider these. I bought these from @kenelder here on FABO some time ago. I am not sure if he is still making these but I was more than happy to get them.

IMG_20220531_193115.jpg

Yep, still available!

For what it’s worth I’m using the A body standard 4 barrel cable on my ‘70 Dart, I’d guess the 2 barrel is the same….

Ken

Last edited:
when my 65 880 383 was six packed , i used the two bbl throttle cable , even on the twin fours .

Just pretend for a moment that I don't know anything about metallurgy, engineering, or physics, and just tell me what the hell is going on with this Six-Pack.

The throttle linkage has been modified, there's a linky thing on the center carb and I have no idea what it goes to. I'm missing some carb bolts. If you can help me find some matching carb bolts, a financial transaction will likely take place. I do have the carb studs.

What do I need to make this thing 'right'? If I can re-use any of the factory kick-down or throttle linkage stuff from the '72 B-body 440 4-bbl it is replacing, great. Otherwise, it'll be a complete set as found on eBay or the FABO recommended vendor of choice. Can the throttle arms on the throttle shafts be used with one of the commonly available linkage kits, or has some dill-hole drilled these out for the hardware store screws and ruined them?

Goal: What would a '75 6-pack A-body car look like if the EPA had minded their business? So, to me, a 'later' 6-Barrel setup would be more correcter but I do NOT know anything about 6-packs, or correctness on legit street muscle, but I want it to look and act like the factory would have done
it. The car will get a roller cam, but it will be a grind very close to the original 6-pack grind.

The car is an automatic, and the donor motor is a '72 B-body Hi-Perf 440.

If you have an air cleaner you're willing to let go of cheap, I'm all ears. Since this is going in a '75, there's no real 'correct' here. Assume Mopar Parts Bin school of design.

Please teach me what all this and what it does, or direct me to a book that covers it. I've rebuilt a billion motorcycle carbs, I know how carbs work, but I don't play with Holleys much (always had Carters) and Six-packs are...scary. Any common factory-appearing mods are options too (Is four-corner idle a thing on these?).

Thanks in advance!!!!

View attachment 1716189886

View attachment 1716189885
Look up The Carburetor Shop in Forest Lake, Minnesota and talk to Dan. If he does not know, his father will.

Yep, still available!

For what it’s worth I’m using the A body standard 4 barrel cable on my ‘70 Dart, I’d guess the 2 barrel is the same….

Ken
I appreciate that but I'm going for the OEM look that didn't exist. Your setup looks sweet!!

Thanks! If you plan on factory air conditioning I don’t think the factory air cleaner will fit, but probably easy to mod. Besides, I’d go with a modern compressor anyway…..

Thanks! If you plan on factory air conditioning I don’t think the factory air cleaner will fit, but probably easy to mod. Besides, I’d go with a modern compressor anyway…..
This car has ZERO options on it other than automatic transmission and possibly power steering, both of which I hope to keep with the 440, even though I don't know how ps works on 440 A bodies.

I'd like overdrive on the car and since it's a 4 door with no slicks or drag racing, I'm considering how to go about adding a A-518 to this project while still looking 'factory'.

I may just keep the 3 speed automatic. What did the six pack cars have for kick down linkage and how close is that to the 4bbl linkage?

Last edited:
The Six Pack throttle cable and kickdown linkage were specific to the engine, but...

I ran a 440+6 '72 Charger around Atlanta for a couple of years. The car was my daily driver so I didn't have time to f__k around finding "correct" parts. I used the later 1-piece 440-4V kickdown I already had on the car, which I believe I grabbed from a cop car. I used the Direct Connection carbs on it (4782/4783) but I see no reason that would change anything. I did the swap in an afternoon and don't remember chasing parts or modifying anything to work. Obviously I needed the Six Pack throttle and coil brackets, but I got original Chrysler stuff from work before I started the swap... yeah, this was awhile back.

For a cable, you'll want the '69-'70 B-body cable, assuming the firewall attachment never changed on A-bodies. I absolutely had to swap the cable (another new OE part) because the 4V cable had a longer housing. It came out of the firewall at a sharp angle, almost a kink. I'd already learned--on that same car--what results from that: A frayed inner cable. Mine went full bird's-nest inside the housing at WFO and a sharp curve coming up extremely fast. Exciting stuff. Anyhow, to my knowledge the cable game is as such: '70 & older B-bodies and all A-bodies should use the '69-'70 B-body cable. All E-bodies and '71-up B-bodies use the E-body cable, which also gets used on F/M/J-bodies. I can't speak to pickup trucks and I've never researched the C-bodies, although a few Six Pack freighters were built.

My own project is somewhat similar to yours. What would a factory 1974 340 Six Pack Challenger have looked like? I went full retard: T/A heads & intake, N94 (T/A) hood/air cleaner, quarter-panel antenna, and the other little T/A detail parts like valve covers and washer nozzles. I even found an NOS set of 1974 Michigan manufacturer license plates to complete the "prototype" look. I'm not using the T/A stripes or spoilers, though.

The Six Pack throttle cable and kickdown linkage were specific to the engine, but...

I ran a 440+6 '72 Charger around Atlanta for a couple of years. The car was my daily driver so I didn't have time to f__k around finding "correct" parts. I used the later 1-piece 440-4V kickdown I already had on the car, which I believe I grabbed from a cop car. I used the Direct Connection carbs on it (4782/4783) but I see no reason that would change anything. I did the swap in an afternoon and don't remember chasing parts or modifying anything to work. Obviously I needed the Six Pack throttle and coil brackets, but I got original Chrysler stuff from work before I started the swap... yeah, this was awhile back.

For a cable, you'll want the '69-'70 B-body cable, assuming the firewall attachment never changed on A-bodies. I absolutely had to swap the cable (another new OE part) because the 4V cable had a longer housing. It came out of the firewall at a sharp angle, almost a kink. I'd already learned--on that same car--what results from that: A frayed inner cable. Mine went full bird's-nest inside the housing at WFO and a sharp curve coming up extremely fast. Exciting stuff. Anyhow, to my knowledge the cable game is as such: '70 & older B-bodies and all A-bodies should use the '69-'70 B-body cable. All E-bodies and '71-up B-bodies use the E-body cable, which also gets used on F/M/J-bodies. I can't speak to pickup trucks and I've never researched the C-bodies, although a few Six Pack freighters were built.

My own project is somewhat similar to yours. What would a factory 1974 340 Six Pack Challenger have looked like? I went full retard: T/A heads & intake, N94 (T/A) hood/air cleaner, quarter-panel antenna, and the other little T/A detail parts like valve covers and washer nozzles. I even found an NOS set of 1974 Michigan manufacturer license plates to complete the "prototype" look. I'm not using the T/A stripes or spoilers, though.

I bet the cops were PO'd when they found out someone had ripped off their throttle cable. :)

-
Back