Friend's son to receive Medal of Honor

-

375inStroke

Reaction score
One of only seven living people to earn the Medal of Honor in the Iraq/Afghan campaign. We all learned about it seeing it on the news. Former Army Sgt. Kyle J. White's father never said anything about it, and was nonchalant when asked and congratulated. Talking to him today, you can tell he's proud. He was Special Forces in Vietnam, which I also didn't know. Most veterans around here were wrench turners. We think he'll wear a camouflage tuxedo and an NRA cap when he watches his son receive the Medal from President Obama.

Here's the Stars and Stripes article:
http://www.stripes.com/news/us/former-army-sgt-kyle-j-white-to-receive-medal-of-honor-1.278118

http://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/white/profile/index.html

This is Spc. Kyle White’s account of the battle.
http://www.armytimes.com/article/20...action_types=og.recommends&fb_ref=artsharetop

A well deserved award and to see his father was a great Vet aswell
this is big indeed ..Thank them from all of us for there service.

May God bless him, and all of our veterans, both living and those who have moved on! They are the greatest this country has to offer, and I thank them all from the bottom of my heart!! Geof

Most veterans around here were wrench turners.

My intent is FAR from turning this into an argument, but don't discount the "wrench turners." The soldiers who were hurt, mentally damaged or killed while "turning wrenches" are in this countries debt and "were there" just the same. Sometimes, the only difference is chance and circumstance

May God bless him, and all of our veterans, both living and those who have moved on! They are the greatest this country has to offer, and I thank them all from the bottom of my heart!! Geof

Could not have said it better! Thank You all for you service.

One of only seven living people to earn the Medal of Honor in the Iraq/Afghan campaign. We all learned about it seeing it on the news. Former Army Sgt. Kyle J. White's father never said anything about it, and was nonchalant when asked and congratulated. Talking to him today, you can tell he's proud. He was Special Forces in Vietnam, which I also didn't know. Most veterans around here were wrench turners. We think he'll wear a camouflage tuxedo and an NRA cap when he watches his son receive the Medal from President Obama.

Here's the Stars and Stripes article:
http://www.stripes.com/news/us/former-army-sgt-kyle-j-white-to-receive-medal-of-honor-1.278118

http://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/white/profile/index.html
Thanks,both of you.....

A very heartfelt thanks to your friends for their service, and sacrifice. May the future be theirs for the taking.

j

Hello guys, tell him thanks for the service! My grandfather is also another Medal of Honor recipient but he didnt live to tell the story, his name is John Edward Swanson
Im Steven Swanson.

Here's the story.

Captain Jon E. Swanson distinguished himself by acts of bravery on February 26, 1971, while flying a OH-6A aircraft in support of ARVN Task Force III in the Kingdom of Cambodia. With two well-equipped enemy regiments known to be in the area, Captain Swanson was tasked with pinpointing the enemy's precise positions. Captain Swanson flew at treetop level at a slow airspeed, making his aircraft a vulnerable target. The advancing ARVN unit came under heavy automatic weapons fire from enemy bunkers 100 meters to their front. Exposing his aircraft to enemy anti-aircraft fire, Captain Swanson immediately engaged the enemy bunkers with concussion grenades and machine gun fire. After destroying five bunkers and evading intense ground-to-air fire, he observed a .51 caliber machine gun position. With all his heavy ordnance expended on the bunkers, he did not have sufficient explosives to destroy the position. Consequently, he marked the position with a smoke grenade and directed a Cobra gun ship attack. After completion of the attack, Captain Swanson found the weapon still intact and an enemy soldier crawling over to man it. He immediately engaged the individual and killed him. During this time, his aircraft sustained several hits from another .51 caliber machine gun. Captain Swanson engaged the position with his aircraft's weapons, marked the target, and directed a second Cobra gun ship attack. He volunteered to continue the mission, despite the fact that he was now critically low on ammunition and his aircraft was crippled by enemy fire. As Captain Swanson attempted to fly toward another .51 caliber machine gun position, his aircraft exploded in the air and crashed to the ground, causing his death. Captain Swanson's courageous actions resulted in at least eight enemy killed and the destruction of three enemy antiaircraft weapons. Captain Swanson's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

This is our very close resemblance.

Swanson.jpg

Attachments

• 1422376_742376285780102_1117009807_n.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 162
Thank you for sharing the ceremony as well as Spc. White's written account of that day. Very moving to see the many heroes who served gathered there.

a heartfelt thankyou to all servicemen, may we place our heros on the pedestal they deserve, may we as a country do what is RIGHT for those that serve. may the world find a way to live in peace..

-
Back