Frisch's Big Boy then and now

-

Tony Fields

That's How I Roll
Legendary Member
Reaction score
We had a Frisch's Big Boy here in Columbus, Indiana back in the day.
It was the place to cruise and hangout during the 1960's. It was two
blocks from the high school. I can't begin to count how many times
we looped that place. Fun times!

Then

View attachment 026 (Medium).jpg

View attachment 027 (Medium).jpg

View attachment 028 (Medium).jpg

View attachment 029 (Medium).jpg

View attachment 030 (Medium).jpg

And now....took this pic today....building and property are for sale.
Thought I would take a pic before it got torn down.

View attachment DSC00011 (Medium).jpg

It's a shame to see things of simpler fun times disappear. We have lost many over the years. And the ones that are around tend to draw attention from the Popo only for them to run people off.

We have frisches all over the place in cincinnati. There was always one within ten minutes no matter where I lived in the city. The one near my parents house as a cruise every Saturday night. Usually around fifty cars show up. Always a good time.

Tony, You need to get a few pics of your Cuda in front of the Big Boy before it's gone....

Where I grew up in Maryland, they were called Bob's Big Boy. I believe there were also Shoney's Big Boy restaurant's in other parts of the country. The food was awesome, especially the hot fudge ice cream cake for dessert. You would think they would have enough repeat customers to keep the place in business.

Attachments

• images63RS6Y7M.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 438
Bob's Big Boy was everywhere in So Cal back when I was a young 'un

Still have a couple of drive in theatres & drive in restaurants ,in my neighborhood. (Not a Sonic) Spent good times as both, as a teenager.

North College Hill Frisches in Cincy. How many hung out there in the 70's with there back up lights on advertising for a street race? Drove my black primer 65 barracuda race car w/ 4 speed there with the slicks sitting in the back window. Was a real chore sneaking out of the neighborhood with open fender wells! Great times, was 16 years old.

Just another sad case of corporate America crushing the privateer. Tough to compete with McD & the rest of the mega chains.
On a side note; how many mom & pop grocery stores are left? 7-11 took care of those. How many neighborhood hardware stores? Home Depot & Lowe's killed them. Let's not forget what Walm@rt does to local businesses. Even more relevant to us, how about your local auto parts store, run by people who knew their stuff & cared. Thank Pep Boys, Napa & the rest of the "If it ain't in the computer, it don't exist" corporations.

North College Hill Frisches in Cincy. How many hung out there in the 70's with there back up lights on advertising for a street race? Drove my black primer 65 barracuda race car w/ 4 speed there with the slicks sitting in the back window. Was a real chore sneaking out of the neighborhood with open fender wells! Great times, was 16 years old.

Cincy still has big cruise ins which is awesome. Every Tuesday the imports have bumspot. It gets moved around every week because of cops though. Then there is the Milford cruise on Friday nights. The big boy cruise in bethel on Saturdays. And starlight drive in right down the road from me. That is the one good thing about our city.

But I don't know if I would be hanging out late at night in north college hill now.

That's a given nch! Planning on driving Dart to Milford Friday. What time does it start?

That's a given nch! Planning on driving Dart to Milford Friday. What time does it start?

People usually start showing up around five thirty or six. If I get enough packing done I might drive up. I don't want to drive all the way there on slicks though so the dart wolnt be there:(

yes, 4dr.. was just in the Miles Ahead movie they made in cincy. just put alot of air in them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dayton had at least three of them. The one in my part of town was the place to either pick or finish a street race. Dozens of cars. Car Craft did two articles on them, but sadly, they were on the wrong two of the three. The arlicle its' self is also rather lame, IMO.

Attachments

• Car_craft____DAYTON___detail.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 275
Doogie, I doubt your old enough to remember when there were car hop at the Friches in Bethel. That was the place to hang out and get something to eat. After they did away with that, the back lot became a hang out every Friday and Saturday night. where the Skyline is was a Roy Rogers and that was "the place". The funny thing is some friends of mine were laughing a few weeks ago, when we were kids, we hung out there, now that we're adults, here we are again. We just took a break in between.
Milford Oh on Friday night's is happen'n when it comes to cruisin. No doubt about that. There can be an easy 300 cars on a nice night. The Pumpkin Run is this weekend, so I'd expect even more.

I just remember going to the cruise that they still do today in bethel. I rarely get out there much for that cruise but you can find me there a few Saturday mornings a month before I go hunting.

I don't go to milford very often just because I am not really into the car show vibe anymore. It would be cool to get some cincy fabo guys and take over the Milford cruise though.

Cincinnati head a serious cruise at eastgate when I was in high school. It was mostly young kids but if you wanted to flex some muscle with your car that was the place to go. Sadly the young crowd is loosing interest in cars and the eastgate cruise is all but dead.

How cool would it be to get a big group together and go to bethel for their cruise then head to the drive in and catch a movie in our old clunkers. I can just see all the dirty looks I'll get when I start up my dart with open headers to keep the battery charged.

Roy Rogers= apple cheese crisp!

-
Back