from a/c to no a/c......

-

mrnurse

Reaction score
ok. I have a 1970 dart swinger!!!!!!!!yay!!!!!!!!! it came with a/c and i want to convert the car to non a/c. can someone post pictures of bare firewalls of cars with and with out so I can see the difference? also what differences are in the heater box? anyone have one they are looking to get rid of? I know texas weather sux and is hot, but I do not plan on driving the car every day so it is not necessary. and I guess I will have some a/c parts that I will be selling/trading..... thanks

no one knows the difference? is there a difference? i am wondering if a non a/c box will just bolt in. will the blower motor bolt in. any help is appreciated.

If it's like my 72 there is a difference in the firewall. The air cars have a bigger hole to accommodate a larger motor fan.

Yep, firewall is different between cars originally equipped with A/C and those without. The heater A/C box is different because of this as well.

I ditched my A/C system as well but I'm not putting anything back in it's place. Saves weight, less stuff to go wrong. I was surprised when I found this out myself, seems crazy to do such a thing. Gotta love Ma Mopar.

I asked a similar question here a few months back and someone suggested using a small off-road heater box.

See this thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=72098

so the heater box is different. the location of the heater hoses are different the blower motor hole is differnt?
( not sure about that or just the mounting holes) but is the actual fire wall different, like shape, bends, and what not? looked at that heater from summit and that might be an option I look into but for now i would like to make it look like a factory non ac car.

Just found this thread.... Better late than never? Did you get the info/pics/parts you needed? If not, let me know and we will get you set up.

Later,
Bruce B.

You currently have a push button climate controller and matching bezel ?
All that crap is different too. Whay not just disable and/or remove the ac/ components from the firewall out ? Whats inside can stay as is.

Would it be possible to convert a non a/s to a/c ?

I am thinking about buying yours as long as it works and I can install it.

Thanks
Ian.

Non a\c cars use a cable to operate the heat\defroster and the temp of the car. a\c cars use vacuum for these functions. The heat regulator on the heater hose under the hood is different, one with cable and one for vacuum. The The blower motor is different and the holes for the a\c lines on firewall. The shape of firewall is the same. They also use different heater boxes.

It would take me a few days but I have all the parts for a non a\c car. I stripped them out of a parts car. I do not know the condition of the parts. As long as you don't need them soon, we could make some sort of deal. All the parts came from a 71 Swinger. you can PM if yo umay be interested.

Jeff,

I honestly don't know if I am yup to this ...because of my back / neck, I act like a consultant rather than doing the heavy work on the Duster. What I have read through on this thread and the others links provuided ..makes me pause..and think I better walk away from one....for the time being.

BTW, for the powerwagon, a guy in Truro has parts, etc..and actually, a nice clean duster frame.

Thanks for the response..

Grassy

Sorry Grassy for the confusion. I was telling mrnurse I had parts to change his A\C to Non-A\C. I see you were wanting to go Non-a\c to a\c, I don't have those parts.
Thanks for the heads-up on my powerwagon. It will need some serious help soon.

No problem ..It scarred the willies out of me anyway..I was this way when I started as a mx bike mechanic..

When you need, PM me and I will get you his name and number.

Ian :)

OK, IF you want to A/C a non A/C car the ONLY way to go is called Dealer Air. This is a unit that mounts under the Dash but still has all the A/C parts under the Hood. Unless you get lucky enough to find a complete one in a parts yard (on ANY car pretty much - not Mopar specific) you are lookin' at around $1300.00 USD for a New setup.

This type of system completly gets rid of the problematic Factory Mopar setup.

Hope this answers your questions.
Bruce B.

-
Back