Fron Wheel Bearing

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Ok I am a little confused and need some direction. The service manual says the following:

Removal
(1) Raise the car so that the front wheels are free of the floor.
(2) Remove the wheel cover, grease cap, cotter pin, nut lock and the bearing adjusting nut.
(3) Remove the thrust washed and outer bearing.
(4) Slide the wheel hub and drum assembly off the spindle.
(5) Drive out the inner oil seal and remove the bearing cone.

I understand 1,2 and 3 but 4 and 5 do not make sense to me. I have pulled the drum off several times but nothing but the hub ever came off. Should I be expecting something else? Also O'Reilly has the inner and outer bearing and it includes the race but there is no information about a race is there one?

I realize this shouldn't be hard but I want to do it right and it seems the videos all say something different and there isn't much on front drum brake bearing removal.

the seal is on the BACK side of the hub. Behind it resides the bearing.

the races are what the bearings "ride" on. they are also in the hub. each face opposite direction of each other. one in the front and one in the back.

Its easier if you remove the wheel but you dont have to. Remove the cotter pin, spindle nut, washer, and bearing. Put the nut and washer back on. Instant bearing and seal remover.

The hub and drum will come off as an assembly as the wheel studs hold them together. The race is the cup part of the cup/cone assy you get new in the bearing assembly. One race for the innner and one for the outer. Tap the old one out from the opposite side with a punch. Move the punch to various locations and keep thumpnig it with the hammer and it will move for ya.

how we removed the seal and bearing in the old days. do steps 1,2,3 but then put the nut back on the spindle. now all you got to do is slide the drum/hub assembly off the spindle with some force, letting the bearing slide on the spindle. the force of the nit hitting the bearing will remive it and the seal at the same time.

-
Back