Front and rear glass install (65 Barracuda)

-

55Redneck

Reaction score
I'm about to install the back glass on my 65 Cuda. I have a friend who's installed a bunch of glass over the years (none of them in a car like this) and he tells me there's no need for any kind of adhesive. He seems sure that some kind of rope in the front side of the glass will keep the rubber on the pinch weld, and the glass in the rubber. Me??? I don't think so because I looked at all 3 rear glaas I have and all of them have traces of black stuff around the outer edges. Can anyone give me a good play by play about how to do this properly? I don't want my back glass (or front) blowing out at speed, and I plan on beating this car like a rented mule.

TIA for any answers that will help me out here. Now I'm out to the shop to drag all my window rubbers into the house to give them a good bath in the tub.

Regards
Red

On a used gasket, I'd use sealer (non-hardening type) on both sides of the rubber. I like a caulking gun for the sealer. After the glass and gasket are installed and before you put in the lock strip, run a small bead of sealer between the gasket and the glass on the outside surface. Then install the lock strip and let it cure before you get anything wet.
If you keep it under 200 MPH you should be ok.... :)

put gasket on the glass, put glass in car, goop up body and glass side of the gasket with butyl, install lockstrip, done!

the trouble is the rough pinch weld and rough glass that dont always seal right with just the gasket...a proper gooping is suggested

Thanks for the info guys. So the butyl doesn't really do anything to hold the glass or the seal in the car (that's what the lock strip is for), it's just to keep the leaks out. I am fortunate that both pinch welds in the front and back were very clean without a speck of rust on them and now they have fresh paint so with the butyl, I should get a very good seal. :)

-
Back