Front and rear windshield pinch weld

-

BobbyY

Old Mopar guy
Reaction score
Hi all,
working on my 67 Dart Retro-restro and am starting to look at the replacement of front and rear winshields. I am not going the traditional restroration route with new gaskets and clips and chrome trim. I want to go with a more modern aproach with the urathane seal strip and the black trim around the windows. I have talked to local glass shop that has done a lot of this and he said the only issue is having enough pinch weld to work with. Seems like most of his work has been with GM's so he has not done a Mopar A body and is unsure of how much pinch weld there is. Does anyone have their windshields out that would take several photos and measure the pinch weld. I am trying to not pull mine out until I have to. All help appreciated.

Bobby

I can take some measurements and pictures of my dart pinchweld for you tommorow, the car is at a friends house now and is being prepped for paint. I have installed glass for over 20 years now and can tell you there would be enough room. Your urethane bead, after installing the glass would be at a thickness of 1/8" to 3/16" which would be a bit thinner than most modern applications. The issue would be replacing it later, it would be a little tough to cut out but not impossible, it would likely take an equalizer/vibra-knife etc. The bigger issue would be the current windshield opening. As it stands now, it is likely too big and would require metal fabrication to accomodate the newer style windshield trim, the upper corners are pointed and would require cutting the moulding and butting them in the corners, as it cannot make a bend that sharply imho.

I don't quite understand the question but,
If you are trying to delete the rubber gasket around the glass.. it cant be done.
The rubber gasket has a H profile. The center web of that is approx. 1/8 thick.
That requires the OEM glass to measure at least 1/8 inch smaller than the fence that the gasket sits on. The OEM glass is actually more like a 1/4 inch smaller than the fence so it will go together without the fence cutting the center web.

Fabbr, the pictures with maybe a ruler laying across would be great. I am not near smart enough to know if this going to work out that is why I'm talking a guy that specializes in doing glass work on Hot Rods and customs. Also if the glass ever needs to come out he will be doing it.

Thanks a bunch

I still think its do-able but it will require some metal, and moulding fabrication.

Im sorry, but what a waste of time and money.... Why not just put a new rubber in, de chrome the trim and powder coat/paint the trim black. Then move onto another part of the car that's going to need fists full of money thrown at it? I am just having a hard time understanding what this, mod would do...

Greed, it would be expensive due to the metal fabrication required, and imo would not look as good as a 68/up rubber and stainless moulding which is the route im going with my 67. Either way good luck to you.

Haven't decided for sure but cost is similar. The glass place I working with said the new windshield installed would be $300 plus any needed parts, so add to that $100 for a new gasket, $250 for the chrome strip and $30 for the spring clips needed to convert from the 67 to 69 style and I'm at $675. I have not priced out the welding needed to add to the pinch weld but am guessing they cost could be close to a wash. The color I'm going with is going to need the chrome blacked out so if I stay with original I might go with powder-coat. In any caseI just exploring my options. Also need to do the same on the rear.

-
Back