Front brake cable removal / relocate (sub frame connector clearance issue)

-

bighammer

Reaction score
I hate to start another thread on this, as I've searched the archives and still no answer..
I'm getting ready to install some sub frame connectors and found the parking brake cable is routed thru the cross member exactly where I need to mount the connector.

I've spent more time under the dash, under the car, climbing around trying to figure out how to re route it to make it work. I've read where others have simply moved the cable up a little higher. But I can't figure out how to get the cable free from the cross member. I have it disconnected at both ends, but where it goes thru the cross member it looks to be welded in place(?)

What do I need to do to move the cable up, into a new location?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 223
Line wrench maybe?

Need to know myself, also. This is on my list of things to tackle soon.

WOW! That's some SERIOUS undercoating!

Got it out last night. For anyone else trying to do the same, here is what I did. Use a decent sized flat tip screwdriver to drive out the cable guide. There is some sort of retainer / clip that is holding it in place, but It needs to be driven towards the front of the car. Hold the screwdriver parallel to the cable and carefully place the blade on the part, right next to the cable, and give it a whack. It took several solid whacks, but I drove it thru with no apparent damage to anything. I'm going to drill a new hole up a little higher to make room for the sub frame connector.

Of course the cable needs to be removed from the equalizer bar prior to removing it from the cross member, which is easy to do. But there is no need to mess with the brake cable up under the dash.

Dont have to reroute it, make a path for it.

Attachments

• DSC07862.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 144
-
Back