front coil overs on stock k frame

-

swifter

Reaction score
Anyone running front coil overs on a dedicated drag car??? Like the dillinger conversion?? How did u choose the length of shocks and coils ???? Or maybe your using a hdk conversion hoops. Thanks steve

I run them. unless you have to have the T-bars removed I would not do it. I run AFCO doubles and the coil over system is heavy. I will look tonight on the length of mine but if I was going to do it again I would buy a strut clip for the front end.

Anybody running coil overs on the front with just the stock suspension, I see no reason as of yet why not as long as the coil diameter fits thru the hole in stock upper A arm and it looks like it will. If not the just open it up a little then brace it back up, I already have the shock towers connected to the roll bar to the front of chassis, a little extra bracing wouldnt hurt on that either.

Swifter, I'm running the Dillinger conversion on my race car. I'm using what shock length John recommended and 10" springs. I have all the particulars on the shocks and springs at the shop if you need them.

Swifter, I'm running the Dillinger conversion on my race car. I'm using what shock length John recommended and 10" springs. I have all the particulars on the shocks and springs at the shop if you need them.

I'd like em, when you get a chance

I purchased QA1's,springs and the adaptors for the top from bill reilly motorsports. the springs touch the upper A-arm just a tad at full extention but you can trun them a touch and you're good to go. you don't get the 6-7" of extention with a coil over only about 3-4". you have to have the torque to lift the front up to get the weight on the rear. ladder bars or a 4-link work well because you can change the tune on them to get the chassis to work. makes for a lot of extra room for headers when you build them having the torsion bars out of there.

Do not use the stock upper shock mount as is, you are just waiting for disaster!! The factory shock mount is not built to hold the weight of the car like it will have to with a coil over. You need to brace it, preferably do engine bay bars and tie them into the cage, shock mount, and front frame horn. This isn't a suggestion Steve, it's mandatory!

Dylan

I. Got that dylan, i was looking more as to the specs of the shocks guys are using on the fronts, we are adding front snout bars this winter and don't have a clue what length of shock or weight of spring to start with -Thanks steve

I. Got that dylan, i was looking more as to the specs of the shocks guys are using on the fronts, we are adding front snout bars this winter and don't have a clue what length of shock or weight of spring to start with -Thanks steve

My bad, sometimes something clicks and I type, I feel better telling you that than reading about a wreck!

(Most people who do a coil over front end use the same length shock as stock. I think the afco 3850 is the one you want, stock length, 5" stroke)

Excellent info fellas, just what I wanted to see and hear, my car has the slant 6 torssion bars (for racing) so I am putting it back on the street and was hopping to go coil overs on the front also and not have to change the Tbars.

i forgot to mention my afcos are 3850s with a 300lb 10in spring, a 250lb spring is what i had ordered but for some reason they shipped a 300 so i put it on and it seems fine, i also could go with a 12in spring, also im using Bobs Pro fab parts and i cut the lower mount and moved it in 1in to straighten the coilover, id highly recomend his lower control arms if your going coilover, if your useing the stock upper mount it is heavy metal but still needs bracing because of it design. mine is all aluminum motor so if your using an iron block then a 350lb spring would be a better start.

Thanks Bob, I just knew deep down that surely I couldnt possibly be the first with this idea LOL, I should be able to make the top mounts easy enuff as well !!!

-
Back