Front Disc Conversion for '65 Valiant

-

VIOLENT\6

12 second N/A Slant 6?
Reaction score
I need to replace the master cylinder on my '65 Valiant & thought that it would be a good time to convert to dual diagonal braking W/front discs.

I would rather use OEM parts to simplify future servicing.

What would be involved as far as part & adaptors?

I eventually want to put an 8 3/4 dif out back & hop up the 225 Slant 6 W/a beefed up 904.

1st, I want to make the handling/braking up to the task.

when i converted my duster to disc brakes i went to the local wrecking yard and walked around for a while i found and 81 dodge diplomat that had the same upper and lower control arms as mine.. took spindles cailbers bracked upper and lower contorl arms (just in case) went home swapped it all on used my stock upper and lower control arms..been like that for years works great and only cost about 300 bucks all said and done. and remember at that point you will have big bolt pattern up front. and small in back.... so you will have to run different rims unless you do something with the rear also

when i converted my duster to disc brakes i went to the local wrecking yard and walked around for a while i found and 81 dodge diplomat that had the same upper and lower control arms as mine.. took spindles cailbers bracked upper and lower contorl arms (just in case) went home swapped it all on used my stock upper and lower control arms..been like that for years works great and only cost about 300 bucks all said and done. and remember at that point you will have big bolt pattern up front. and small in back.... so you will have to run different rims unless you do something with the rear also

Would '81 parts fit a '65?

The Scarebird kit uses easy to get factory parts, but not Mopar -GM & Toyota mix, depending on kit. They have kits for both 9" & 10" drums.

There are several posts here about using parts from an F,M,J car on a Dart. Some claim a problem, others have done it fine. Should fit a 65, but you may need to change your UCA to 73+, or buy a special stud adapter (search posts). Rick Ehrenberg wrote a detailed article in Mopar Action, which you easily find online.

Lots of good information here.

I think I will strive to get a complete change over from 1 or at least similar tear/model cars so that future maintenance will be simplified.

I'm kinda torn between going for the 11 3/4" brakes or the smaller 11" rotors. I don't want to go W/the heavier brakes if I don't need them.

I'm 62 years old & plan to do modifications as I can afford them.

I know see that It would be a good idea to do the front disc/8 3/4" rear swap at the same time so that I can go W/14" 5 x 4 1/2" wheels all around.

So now I nede to do a diff swap thread.

Keep the info coming.

1st power modifications would be 10:1 CR Slant 6 W/cam, headers, 4 barrel manifold, but I'm pretty well schooled in 3rd Gen Hemi power so that might be sometime in the future if I live long enough.:smile:

If I could get the slant 6 into the 12s N/A W/a shot of N2O for giggles, I would probably settle for that.

if an 81 would fit an 65 that i dont know. i would assume so. when i went to the wrecking yard i didnt know what i was looking for i just searched car after car till i found one that was simular to the front end set up on my and it turned out to be that 81 dip.... i used my upper and lower control arms just swapped spindles went and bought a new master put new bearings in turned rotars and bouth some reman calipers for the 81. and for the break lines i just got them for my car if it would have had disc brakes. was pretty much a bolt up deal if i remember right the only difference was on the spindles the tie rods on mine came in from top wear this ones where set up to come in from the bottom easy enough fix i just rotated the tie rod and went down the road. i have yet to expireance any issues with my brakeing whats so ever. like bill said some have had problems some have not i just got lucky. but i walked out the door of the junkyard with everything i ineeded and more for about 150 then spend about 150 on seals bearings calipers and lines... was definently worth the time searching the yard and lucking out for me. i just didnt have the money to go buy a conversion kit. and if i ever neeed brake parts i just get them for a 81 dodge diplomat

walked out the door of the junkyard with everything i ineeded and more for about 150 then spend about 150 on seals bearings calipers and lines... was definently worth the time searching the yard and lucking out for me. i just didnt have the money to go buy a conversion kit. and if i ever neeed brake parts i just get them for a 81 dodge diplomat

That's what I am looking to do.

if you can do it the way i did.. with my expierence with it i def recomend it

Yeah you did exacty what I plan to do.

I'm trying to decide wheter to go W/the 11" or 11 3/4" rotors.

Since the car won't weigh much & need heavy duty braking, I think I will opt for the smallewr discs for less unsprung weight & rotational mass.

I need to get all of the possible combination noted so when I go picking, I will know what to look for.

I also need an 8 3/4 narrowed SG diff.
That is my 1st goal.

I want to get it rolling on disc brakes/5 X 4 1/2" BP wheels.

Then, I can turn my attention to the Slant-6 & 904.

8 3/4 are hard to come buy so good luck on that unless you already have one. haha i am running an 8 1/4 behind my 360 with a suregrip and 3.23 geras getting ready to swap to 4.10 when the 8 1/4 blows up will probably do a 8.8 ford swap

8 3/4 are hard to come buy so good luck on that unless you already have one. haha i am running an 8 1/4 behind my 360 with a suregrip and 3.23 geras getting ready to swap to 4.10 when the 8 1/4 blows up will probably do a 8.8 ford swap

I had an 8.8 IRS conversion in my Charger.

Only thing I don't like about the 8.8 is that it's not a pumpkin type carrier.

I had the 2nd prototype W/OEM inner Ford, outer LX CV joints. The current 8.8 ford LX conversion has flanged inner CV joints so the center section can be swapped in less than 45 minutes.

Although an A body 8 3/4 would be next to impossible to find here in the boonies, I would bet theres lots of them around in "B" & "D" bodies thta are rusting away.

What about 8 3/4" pickup/van housings?

I had the 2nd prototype W/OEM inner Ford, outer LX CV joints. The current 8.8 ford LX conversion has flanged inner CV joints so the center section can be swapped in less than 45 minutes.

Although an A body 8 3/4 would be next to impossible to find here in the boonies, I would bet theres lots of them around in "B" & "D" bodies that are rusting away.

Although an A body 8 3/4 would be next to impossible to find here in the boonies, I would bet theres lots of them around in "B" & "D" bodies that are rusting away.

thought about it... those seem to be getting pretty hard to find around my parts also..plus getting them narrowed getting axles all that stuff i dunno we shall see what happens

-
Back