Front Drag tires!????

-

Cudafever

Reaction score
I need to have my front end aligned and my ride height need to be set first.
My 215/70/15 will require the body to be lifted to keep them from damaging my fenders.

had decided to go with a front drag tire and rim..........WOW Didn't realize there was so many brand, let alone.....compounds?

Would like to go back to a 26" in a 5" wide tire.

What back spacing are you use.

And what problem with clearing.

I want to lower my from end, and it will require a tire that can be stuffed up in to the wheel well with out rubbing.

Sounds like you're trying to go pretty low considering the 215/70 is tight. What style wheel are looking for? Something to match the rear wheels?

A 15x3.5 or 15x4 with a "VW" sized tire and something like a 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 backspace will clear just about anything. I've squeezed a 195/75 on a 4" wheel before, but I'm not sure it will clear with the setup you are looking at?

Your going to have limited choices of a 4 or 5 inch wide rim in backspacing. It will probably be in the area of 2 to 2.5 inch back spacing. With a 26 x 5 tire back spacing won't be critical the tire should fit with just about any back spacing and look fine too.

I have the turbin (sp) or fined style alu wheels. i thing the back spacing on them are my biggest problem. They grab the fender and try to bend it inward.

If I'm going to buy a wheel, with a better back spacing i might as well get a drag front tire. As this is what it will be doing most of it life.

Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R in a 26x6.0 is what I run. Love them.

Agree....Anything over 26 will rub. I got some M/T 27's 4in wide rubbed 0n the fender when you turn left or right.

I have a Champion Speed series wheel 15x3.5 with a 2.25 BS and run a VW tire and it's tucked under the wheel well an inch.

Attachments

• _mg_7833[1].jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 452
I have a Champion Speed series wheel 15x3.5 with a 2.25 BS and run a VW tire and it's tucked under the wheel well an inch.

When you say VW tires, is there only on side? What size do you have, and how tall are they.

What is the advantage of the VW tire over the drag tires?

They're going one a 70 Cuda.

The "V-dub" type tires I used years back were 560/15 or 600/15.....The 600 was around 25.5" if I recall.

A conversion to the metric would probably be in the 165/80/15 range. Keep in mind that these were used on 3.5/4" rims only.

The advantage over a drag tire, like a Moroso, was durability. With that said, none of them were that durable for a lot of street miles, but they were light (belted nylon poly blend type) tires, and in the mid/late 70's, only cost about $12ea to replace...lol.

The "V-dub" type tires I used years back were 560/15 or 600/15.....The 600 was around 25.5" if I recall.

A conversion to the metric would probably be in the 165/80/15 range. Keep in mind that these were used on 3.5/4" rims only.

That sounds about right.

Thanks for the reply.

Man I wish they were only 12 buck now!!!!

Depends on the tire. I run 165/80-15 Kumho Powerstar tires on mine and Discount Tire refused to mount them on my 3.75" wide wheels because the manufacturer says 4" is the minimum. I had to go to a mom and pop place to get them mounted and balanced. IMO they would work on a 5" wheel. They are also slightly shorter than 26" (25.5-25.75").

One thing though, and I don't think many think about this, is that I am unaware of a 165/80-15 tire that has a speed rating higher than a "T" (118 mph). I guess it depends on how fast you run. Of course there is also the Mickey Thompson S/R radial, but it's only rated to 130 mph and is over triple the cost of the Kumhos I run.

I'm running 15x4-1/2 Torq Thrust D, 2-1/8 backspace, -16mm offset, 165-15 Firestone F560 Cokers, about 25-1/2 tall.
No issues at all, though I have the front end high...
I wouldn't expect any issues low though, with that small tire.

One more thing, tire speed ratings are for continuous running, not short blasts...
I'd be more than willing to bet most "real" front runner drag tires would not get very high speed ratings if tested in the fashion road tires are.

One last thing,I went with those tires because they had about a 20% higher load rating than the 5.60-15 bias tires I wanted to go with.
970lb to 1180lb. ( I drive on the street more than the track)

On a '70 Dart with late BBP brakes I have 15x4.5 aluminum slots with the kumho 165-80-15 with no rubbing.

I have The M/T ET Fronts. My only issue is the rim lip is juuuust scraping the caliper.

Attachments

• aaa 001.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 277
I decided to save my money for other projects on the car. Bought some 185/80/15 and had them mounted on my 7" wide alu wheels i already have.

They look a little funny, but i will be able to lower the front end. and spend the saved cash for thing......like better brakes! :D

-
Back