Front Drum Brake Issues

-
hear in the southern textile belt a harness return spring ( once carried outside the mill ) was also a screen door return spring and a brake drum silencer.
I don't think todays linings will produce the ringing that came from glazed asbestos linings

I think the OP needs to just drive the car to break them in!! When I do a set of drums, I will always do the above mentioned method of putting on the drum with a small amount of drag!! The trick with the self adjuster is to apply the brakes in reverse to allow the adjuster to open as the shoes wear in. I will typically drive about 10 miles after doing drums and back up multiple times before calling them broken in!! Geof

Brake sqeal? I often thought about that. But why only the front drums on A-bodies when its usually the backs that are sqealing?

I still have some fronts with the spring on them I never saw one on a rear on cars that I have had. But I do remember some that may have had them on older cars.

I know the fronts get alot hotter then the rear. My 58 Fury had them on the front as did all my 62 through 65 cars. I don't ever remember them on rears.. But they could have melted off during the long lasting Line locks I did.

well i adjusted them and drove it around a lil. just like what was said it kinda "wore" into place. brake pedal is nice and firm and the wheels rotate nicely, it was prolly just the cheapo chinese shoes. thanks for everyones input! i guess im used to the pre-wore parts ive always practiced on at school xDDD

, it was prolly just the cheapo chinese shoes.

I tired to tell you earlier that things were probably "normal." In this case, "not" Chinese. This could/ would have happened the very same way had you been doing this in 1950, 1960, 1970, or 1980

I'm currently having the same issue on my 71" Duster, front drums .....Drums new, shoes new, 10" drums...Spinning drums is difficult if not impossible ,and shiny spots showing on shoes, have set primary and secondary shoes as directed... The only way to get drum to turn halfway easy was to grind material off the shoe , where shiny parts were showing .... had problem on both frt drums ...

-
Back