Front end conversion?

-

hbbuddha

Reaction score
Just bought a 74 Dart SE that has some damage to the front fenders. I'm looking for Dart fenders and I keep coming upon Duster fenders. I've measured and the duster fender is about an inch shorter. I'm guessing that's because the Dart has that strip in front of the hood and the Duster doesn't. I like the Plymouth Duster front end.

So it has me wondering, will the Duster front end bolt onto the Dart? If so, what parts are needed? I'm guessing the fenders, hood, grill and core support.

Anyone do a similar conversion?

Hillbillybuddha

The duster front end will bolt right on if you use the entire front clip. The body lines in the fenders will match the body lines in the door.

any 67 and newer front end (complete every nut and bolt) will fit any 67 and new A body

You can convert the entire front clip over with the fenders, hood, grill, bumper, and hood latch support. The core support itself stays put, everything that needs to be swapped is a bolt on deal.

I see that you're in Sacramento. I'm in that area as well, and I will very shortly have the entire front clip from my '74 Duster available for sale. I'm converting mine to a Demon, so it's getting a '71 Dart front end. So I'm almost doing the exact opposite swap as you. The front clip is still on my Duster at the moment, but it should be available in a few weeks. Shoot me a pm if you're interested, maybe we can figure something out. I also have most of a '72 Dart front clip, although the driver's fender is a little worse for the wear. I found a '71 front clip in better condition, so the '72 stuff I picked up earlier is extra.

Here's the front end of my Duster. No rust at all, just a little shopping cart rash over the years.

IMG_5277_zpsfd4c788b.jpg

The result would look like a '74 Scamp...

one-sweet-scamp-wearing-a-73-74-vintage-grile-by-the-way-.jpg

I have a follow up question. The PO had lost the key so he pulled the ignition switch and destroyed the steering wheel / column where the keyed switch is housed. It's a power steering - automatic transmission car. Will any a-body with power steering and auto transmission column work?

I have a follow up question. The PO had lost the key so he pulled the ignition switch and destroyed the steering wheel / column where the keyed switch is housed. It's a power steering - automatic transmission car. Will any a-body with power steering and auto transmission column work?

Yes. Actually, if you just use switch the switch housing on the end of the column you can use pretty much any housing from the same era. The only things that changed from model to model was the length of the steering shaft and the length of the column jacket.

Is it an auto on the column? I have an extra housing for an auto on the column car.

-
Back