Front End (frame) replacement questions

-

cudakid67

Reaction score
I am replacing the front frame section (doghouse) on my 67 barracuda, using the front end from a 74 scamp that I parted out. Below are a few questions I have before I get started on the swap.

The Scamp was a 6 cyl car, my barracuda has a 273. So while the guy is doing the swap, he will be putting in a 73-76 spool type sb k frame that I bought. What T-bars should I use, the scamp has the 6cyl ones and my barracuda has original sb ones. Do I have him put the original ones in with the new k-frame?

The scamp has a power steering box on it, what all will I need to do to make this work with my original 67 steering column?

As I attempt to get the new k-frame ready for the replacement, should I do any reinforcing to it? Some of the original welds don't look the best. I was thinking that one of the mags did an article on how to do this, but I'm unable to find it.

Lastly, what color was the K-frame originally? Any suggestions on what paint will hold up the best?

Thanks in advance, sorry for so many questions in one post.

I can answer the k frame colour.What i did was painted it with high temp engine paint satin black.did that on outher cars and to this day that paint is still there and not faded from heat.

If the scamp had pwr steering and air it may very well have the same t bars that a 318 car would have. Check the numbers is the only solution.
You can put the shaft out of the scamps steering column in the barracudas column but it aint easy. The lower bearing assemblies are different. That power steering box wont work with the 67 pitman arm and drag link either but I assume you are using those parts from the scamp also.

Supposedly, Mopar put the same T-bars on /6 w/ A/C as they did on the 318 w/o A/C. It's fairly easy to tell, even without the part number from the bar. Clean off a section of the t-bars you have and measure the circumference of the bar. If you want to compare the measure you obtain with most charts that use diameter, divide your measurement by 3.14159.(d=C/π)

If there is a difference in the circumference in the two pair that you have, I'd use the larger of the two.

-
Back