Front End Rebuild - my first rodeo

-
@RustyRatRod This one's for you Rob. No 383 just yet. Very soon!
no engine.jpg

That looks great. I can see you have everything loose. I need to get mine back together and share, just been swamped lately.

RGAZ

Have any of you guys come across this?

The Moog K7086 Idler arm doesn't have a rubber boot where it attaches to the center link. The original one I removed did have a rubber "boot" there, but it was almost completely mashed.
Also, the Moog Idler arm has some sponge like discs that only seem to fill space.

Original Chrysler idler arm had a rubber boot.
Chrysler part number 3402846 which supersedes to 4014089 both came with the rubber seal.
You can see examples of both numbers on eBay.
Search: 3402846 Mopar and 4014089 Mopar.
Ignore what the sellers say about what 4014089 fits.
They don't know the 4014089 is a superseded number that also fits 73-76 Abodies.
Unfortunately Moog has been using those foam seals for decades.

@townsend thanks! Any issues with the Moog part not having the boot?
It's already on the car.

I looked at those numbers - sheesh - some prices on eBay!
$300 for a 1975 Idler arm? Negative.

I appreciate that. I actually contacted the guy, so we'll see.

Mainly I'm concerned about whether there are any negative consequences to using the Moog part.
Movement/stress is mainly the ball in the socket that's greased from the top, right?

Seems like a rubber boot would be better but Moog has sold hundreds of the K7086 idler arms.
Maybe someone who used the Moog number can comment.

Not having a boot isn't ideal, but the new idler arm is already installed, correct?
If this is a hobby car that will see a few hundred miles a year, just lube it with a sticky, tacky grease once or twice a year, and it'll probably last forever.

I appreciate that. I actually contacted the guy, so we'll see.

Mainly I'm concerned about whether there are any negative consequences to using the Moog part.
Movement/stress is mainly the ball in the socket that's greased from the top, right?
None. The foam seals work fine. I've installed hundreds of parts that used those over the years with my stint as an alignment/suspension man and they work fine. Stupid lookin but they work. lol

IMO, the foam seal is an upgrade from a boot that can get torn. Those seals last a long time. Unless you don't keep the idler arm greased and they dry out.

-
Back