Front end too low

-

Mason Moran

Reaction score
I recently got my first project car 1974 duster 225 auto and the front end is sitting so low that the tires scrape on sharp turns. I just replaced the front shocks and I was reading about torsion bars for adjustment. Is adjusting the torsion bar how I get my front end up higher?

PXL_20201004_200550372.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20201004_191308407.jpg

It doesn't look that low. May be an alignment issue, wheel (outward) offset issue, or too large tires. "We" don't know any of those answers

Also could be wrong or wrongly set up strut rods---those which hold the lower control arms in front to rear position. Get a 2nd person and try to determine where the tires hit.

Yes adusting the T bars is what raises the car. If you get yourself a shop manual, that is all laid out in there. You want to relieve at least some of the front end weight with a jack while adjusting, and be sure and cycle the suspension--or drive a short ways -- to be sure it settles before you jump to conclusions.

Frankly, I think you have other problems besides height

Last edited:
IMHO
The front offset is to small ( tire / wheel pushed too far out)

As 67dart273 said, unload the front suspension, before you tighten the torsion bar adjusting bolt. People have stripped them out)

But again a 67dart273 said your ride height looks right to me too and there is another reason your tire rubs

The correct size tires in the front along with the correct width, backspacing and offset wheels will solve your problem. It looks like it's sitting about right.

Back tires look like they fit perfectly!!

I agree with others on the front. It appears the wheel is too wide or there is too little offset.

IMHO
The front offset is to small ( tire / wheel pushed too far out)

As 67dart273 said, unload the front suspension, before you tighten the torsion bar adjusting bolt. People have stripped them out)

But again a 67dart273 said your ride height looks right to me too and there is another reason your tire rubs

Crank up the torsion bars! LOL That's what we did back in the 70's :lol::lol:

My 69 coronet 1a (3).jpg

@69cudaownr Do i just need new wheels to fix offset right? Like the wheels someone put on it don't fit right? Or smaller tires?
Read up on wheel offset to get an understanding. There are a few of us that think your wheel has a negative offset based on your pics and description. This pushes the tire out thus creating the situation of tire rub. But before you go changing everything read up on it so you have a better understanding. Here's a link.
https://www.msawheels.com/blog/wheel-offset-explained/

Get a new windshield in it first. Get or download a service manual for your car. It will list the original tire and wheel sizes for your car and how the front suspension works. Ride height setting procedures and alignment specs for stock tires and wheels.

One thing you could do "that might be cheap" is "do you have a factory spare?" If so and if it has a fair condition tire mounted, try to scare up a second on C/L or other local used sales, maybe even a tire store/ junk yard. In other words get end up with two stock steelies that are similar and have decent useable tires. Toss those on the front and see where you stand.

Also are there any adapters / wheel spacers behind the wheels you have?

The other issue besides "hitting" is that too far-outward offset greatly affects steering geometry. It can cause a car to wander and 'dart' as well as "bump steer" much worse than stock offset wheels.

Looks like waaaaay to much tire for that wheel. Sidewall is seriously caved in.
20201007_205955.jpg

UPDATE: I recently realized that the wheel rub only happens on the driver side, despite having identical wheels and tires left to right. I also discovered that my torsion bar support is cracked on the driver side, more like sheared. Would this cause my car to sit lower on that side so it rubs that wheel?

PXL_20201017_211348900.jpg

!!WOW!! Aren't you glad you found that instead of lying in a pool of something along the highway?

!!!???WOULD IT CAUSE???!!! It would cause wreckage and destruction, death and severe injury!!! THAT is what that would cause!!!

!!WOW!! Aren't you glad you found that instead of lying in a pool of something along the highway?

!!!???WOULD IT CAUSE???!!! It would cause wreckage and destruction, death and severe injury!!! THAT is what that would cause!!!
^^^^^^Agree!!!!! You’re lucky you found it. Not lucky you have it. ^^^^^

UPDATE: I recently realized that the wheel rub only happens on the driver side, despite having identical wheels and tires left to right. I also discovered that my torsion bar support is cracked on the driver side, more like sheared. Would this cause my car to sit lower on that side so it rubs that wheel?

View attachment 1715614699
Ah, rusted torsion bar crossmember. That would do it.

OH YEAH

I've seen the rear mount of the rear leaf springs push up through the trunk but that's one I have not seen in the old Ruster

-
Back