Front Main Seal Replacement Help Needed

-

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a 82 318 block that I'm fixing and I've got the timing chain cover off, the seal is cracked now is the time to repair. My problem is that I can't seem to get the seal to start, prying just seems to bend the lip?. The book I have says to pry up from the inside of the cover with a screwdriver, then turn it over and use a punch to get it the rest of the way.I don't seem to be having any luck. Is there another way?

Any idea's would be a great help, thanks
RJ
:cheers:

Slide1.JPG

To put them in I have used a hockey puck as a driver, you may want to see if there is room to try it the other way. Just line the puck up on the back and see if it will clear, then beat on it to loosen it.

Another option is to put the cover in the freezer and then try it after everthing is cold.

You can also try cold chisels

Knock a tiny hole or 2 in the sheet metal and run a drywall screw in it to jack the seal out. Dont damage the aluminum.

Heat the cover around the seal with a propane torch and knock the seal out with a big socket or pry it out. The heat will expand the cover and loosen the gunk that's sealing it in. Careful, the cover stays hot for awhile. Wear gloves.

Removing it I turn it over and use a medium punch and a hammer to drive the old seal out.....to install I make sure there is no paint on the timing cover where seal goes.....then I place a block of wood on the opposite side for support and then drive it in with a rubber hammer....carefully to start it equally....

It was the heat that finally loosened it, thanks for the input.

The old seal will have a new home in the trash can anyway. Doesn't matter it gets all bent to hell on removal, just don't damage the chain cover.

-
Back