Front motor plate ~vs~ Regular mounts.

-

Woodie

Take-off EH!
Reaction score
Getting ready to prep the car to run in the low 10s. I was curious to see if there are some distinct advantages to running a front motor plate vs standard mounts on the "K" frame. The current setup is a 72 biscuit style mount (solid) on both sides. I have a 73 Spool type " k" frame to swap in its place, but was looking for some opinions on the front plate vs mounts before I commit to a decision . I found this plate on Mancini's website http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/frmoplch31.html For the cost of installing the plate are there any major benefits E.T wise over the standard mounts? I would love to see some pics of some setups if possible, any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

here is mine.. I think the biggest thing is its easy to get in and out..free up a little space as well..

its that your cab over in your av.?????sweet got my in laws here at my house now but don't look as good as that

The plate eliminates engine movement during acceleration/deceleration which results in less stress on the block.

I would say the "fore/aft brackets" help eliminate engine movement during accel/decel. We went to a motor plate in the Mirada due to space with the RB engine where only a small block ever lived. Also went motor plate on the Duster since our tube K member has no provisions for stock mounts.

I like the motor plate idea, BUT you still have to account for fore and aft movement, or you will be hard on the trans and axle. I used Moroso stamped steel mounts in the stock location on my SST Cuda and had them all bent sideways in a car only capable of 1.43 60' times.

I like the motor plate idea, BUT you still have to account for fore and aft movement,

If only using a front plate... What is the best to prevent fore and aft movement?

I was not planning on using a mid plate, just a front plate with tabs (L brackets welded to the front frame rails. I plan on doing all the work myself.

Engine Travel Limiter. The limters are what keeps the engine in place when using a plate. Some people use a plate and solid mounts to stop the movement as well.

http://www.jerrybickel.com/engine--...-shifters/engine-travel-limiter-jbrc1121.html

006.jpg

Not being an engineer, I'm not sure I agree that a FRONT plate is "best."

Seems to me a front plate......with no mid plate..........puts incredible strain on the weight of the engine in the middle where the bell / trans hooks up. This MIGHT even increase block distortion under hi torque.

Also seems to me a guy needs to take chassis flex into account. "A great big wheelie" coming down hard on one wheel comes to mind.

you have solid biscuit mounts now, you don't need to go to or spend the coin on a plate. what you have is perfect for your intended et.

I agree. All I run is home made solid mounts and I'm not breaking anything. as most know my car pulls huge wheelies and runs 10.0s on a good day.

[ame]http://youtu.be/t0OVIsU01mg[/ame]

-
Back