front rotors for '70 340 swinger

-

pushrod

70dart 340
Reaction score
I Would Appreciate Any Help In Finding New Small Bolt Pattern Rotors For My '70 340.
Thanks,
Pushrod

I have looked for a long time for new small bolt pattern rotors with no luck. I was able to have my old ones cut when I did the last brake job, but I will need new ones soon as well. Good luck in your search and when you find them, let us know from where.

Thank you

I bought new one's at my local parts store 2 years ago,not cheap though around $75 a piece!

mark,
Thanks for the info. It's a done deal. Saved $100.00 over the only other ones I found

Mark,
FYI Parts America e-mailed me that the rotors were no longer available an cancelled my order. Any other source?

Pushrod

I have the exact same situation, as I have an original 1971 Duster 340 with factory discs.

I sold a 1969 Swinger 340 with factory discs in 2001, and at that time, the factory rotors were available from NAPA and AutoZone, but today, I am not sure.

These rotors are very similar to those on the 1964 1/2 - 1966 Mustangs.

There must be a source with these rotors!

Rock Auto? Napa? Advance Auto Parts? AutoZone? Somebody???

I googled front disc brake rotors for a 1970 340 Swinger and a 1971 Duster 340. As I was doing that, I recalled from years ago during my rebuild of a 1969 340 Swinger that the best sources for the factory small bolt pattern front brake rotors were either Wagner, Carbone(remanufacturer of many brake parts), or Raybestos. Brembo, from my google searches, also appears to be in the business of manufacturing the small bolt pattern rotors.

Please be advised that all 1965 - 1972 A bodies with factory disc brakes used the same brake rotor, so you are good to go with any you find in that period.

Also, Tom Condran wrote an excellent book on upgrading Mopar brakes, I mat still have a copy filed somewhere, have to look. There are manufacturer reference numbers for the brake parts, including rotors.

Anyway, following will include just the start of info. I found googling for a few minutes.

Notice that RockAuto DOES NOT SHOW rotor availability on their website, yet they are listed as selling these rotors on ebay!

It might be worthwhile following up with Brembo on their availability of these rotors, since these were listed on one of the google searches, as available for $49.95 / each.

Finally, also be aware that there are some ebay vendors who probably stockpiled these rotors over the years, and are now re-selling on ebay at inflated prices. At $125 per small bolt pattern rotor, converting to the 1973-76 A body large bolt pattern makes sense.

We should think about making an archive with this info. for future reference.

Anyway...here is the results of my google...I 'll keep looking...

BREMBO 27019 HUB & ROTOR
Note: ; front ; w/ front disc ; overall dia.: 278.6 ; min thick: 23.9 ; height: 123.1 price ===> 49.95

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...tegoryZ33564QQihZ010QQitemZ200020526214QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970...tegoryZ33564QQihZ010QQitemZ200018866152QQrdZ1

Mark Nixon said:
EvilScamp, that is one BADASS looking ride!!
So badass, I saved the pic.:D

Mark.

LOL Thanks Mark! Actually it looks better in the pic. than it does in person,it's gonna need qtrs. and trunk floor exts.
Hopefully i'll be able to start on it this winter.

I have 2 other rides to a 71 Duster that's under construction and a 72 Duster /6 driver,beater!

I don't remeber the name of the company and I am at work, but there is a company that advertises in Mopar Muscle Magazine that sells the stuff for a small bolt pattern drum to disk changeover that uses the orginal spindles so no new spindles are required. They should have them as the advertisement is recent. I will check when I get home and post asap

Thanks...

Several of the crew here still have the factory small bolt pattern, with the factory Kelsey-Hayes 4 piston calipers and 10" factory rotors.

The issue is becoming the availability of replacement parts, including replacement rotors.

As it turns out, we probably need to build an archive reference for future usage, for parts becoming hard to find.

Today, I learned that Rock Auto is selling the small bolt pattern rotors on Ebay, but not on their website. $60+ on Ebay from Rock Auto; You might be able to use the Rock Auto discount code on the purchase to lower the overall damage!

Also, several other vendors are selling the rotors on their sites, including www.murraysdiscount.com. Someone posted that the rotors were $25.99, but all I found on the site were Raybestos rotors for $85.99 each.

The 4 piston Kelsey-Hayes calipers are available for $60 each, with a $100 core charge. An upgraded version with stainless steel bores, and all new pieces is also available for $110 each with a $100 core charge, from :
www.calipersonline.com

I hope I typed the links correctly!

To be certain on the correct parts and their availability, Please review the posting on the Car Parts for Sale forum titled 'Disc-brakes' for the exact correct details on the parts and the websites for the parts.

This is the link that I was referring to. They have the drum to disk conversions that use the original drum spindles and they list some of the kits as the 5X4 bolt pattern. not sure if they sell rotors seperate but they should. Let me know how you make out http://tinyurl.com/y83o5n

The SSBC parts are very nice but pricey.

If someone has an 1965 - 72 Abody with factory drums, the Scarebird setup costs less, and an economical alternative.

I have a friend with a 1971 Demon 340 that was a factory drum brake car -
He spent ~ $900 to purchase the SSBC small-bolt pattern disc conversion hardware. He tracks his Demon 340, and needed consistent stopping power!

But at more than $900, there are less costly and effective alternatives.

My 1971 Duster 340 with the small bolt pattern factory disc setup (manual - not power brakes) works excellent, and contrary to what others say, parts are still available (rotors + calipers) for reasonable prices (see earlier posts in this thread for prices and sources).

Alternatively you guys could convert to the later '73 and up style brake and have Moser or someone similar redrill the bolt pattern.

I know it's not correct but it's a working alternative.

I checked today & PartzFinder www.partzfinder.com is listing early A body rotors for $129 for a set of 2, with free shipping. Part number/product code is PFP-121-63005 X2. Unless somebody here knows of a better deal, I plan to order a set.

-
Back