Front Sway Bar Bushings

-

eds70dart

Reaction score
Need some HELP here guys. There must be someone out there that has replaced the poly bushings on the front sway bar on a 1970 Dart Swinger or other similar cars. They are the triangular shaped bushing parts that are set inside the stock metal brackets. I have read that you can put them in hot water and that they will expand and loosen up, and then put over the large ends of the sway bar, but how do you get them in the brackets without damaging them. There doesn't seem to be much room for the bushings to expand to except the large ends of the sway bar if the bushings are in the brackets first. (on mine anyways) Or is it better to get the stock rubber bushings to replace the originals that are easier to put on. I don't want to cut or weld any metal if possible. The rest of the front end has been rebuilt with the polygraphite kit. It's been a long week to get the front end done, and now I've hit the roadblock on this.

I would just go with the stock bushings.

For one, you will NEVER feel the difference in swaybars alone. You would have to replace everything on your suspension with poly bushings, or solid ones to get the feel and control they claim.

Two, They WILL squeak eventually, and you'll have to add in some grease now and then. Swaybars and Control arms are the #1 squeakers.

For what its worth, I replaced everything on my Cuda with new rubber bushings and am going the "Pro-Touring" style for handling purposes. (New swaybars, tubular control arms, bigger torsion bars, etc) and it handles Perfectly.

We just went through all of this on my buddies 300zx and replaced everything with poly bushings, as well as drilled, tapped and installed zerg fittings for grease. its been a month and they squeak like hell over any bump already.

Sure, you may get lucky and find some that dont squeak, but odds are against you.

Go with the rubber bushings and save yourself some trouble. The new rubber stuff doesn't flex near as bad as the stuff you're replacing.

It's cheap, its quiet, and it does its job 100% of the time without trouble.

-
Back