front sway bar for early a-body

-

cudajames

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking to see if anybody has used either of these sway bars on their early a-body. I plan to install these on a 66 barracuda not a formula s car

looking at these front sway bars

hellwig #55914 – looks really straight forward
hotchkis #22385f – these requires some wielding

Any feed back; positive or negative would be appreciated.

Also anything about install

Thanks
james

I have the Helwig bar on my car, easy installation. I had a Firm Feel solid bar in before and ended up using their frame mounts on the Helwig bar, works great and very light.

Why not use the Hellwig rear bar? Should be the same width 63-76. Their design beats Hotchkis....

np, it helped with the information flow

I pulled the trigger on the hellwig bar.

Does that hellwig fit a 63 valiant or do i need the LCA's with tabs?

Jake

The install instruction state 1963-1966 A-body (attached)

So you should be good, but just in case email hellwig. They were super fast to respond and answer questions (just a factor in purchasing the bar)

BTW: amazon might have the best price

Attachments

• 135055914-front.pdf
    977.7 KB · Views: 321
The install instruction state 1963-1966 A-body (attached)

So you should be good, but just in case email hellwig. They were super fast to respond and answer questions (just a factor in purchasing the bar)

BTW: amazon might have the best price

Thanks!!!!

I bought the Hotchis bar kit for my '71 Dart. Same P/N (22385F) that you referenced. I'm not happy. I located my tabs on the LCAs the only place they could be and they are 36.5" apart (hole CL to hole CL). Well, the Hotchkis bar is 38.5" wide, so the links are splayed way out and the bushings are so deformed that they got destroyed on the first 5 minute shakedown run with the brackets held in place with vise-grips. They swear that the dimensions of their bar is correct, but I don't see how that could be. Haven't installed mine yet, haven't done the welding, and if I find another bar that is 36.5", I'm switching.

The sway bar arrived quickly. It looks pretty darn cool and it is pretty light weight.
I hope to install with some other suspension parts this weekend, we'll see how much mother's day gets in the way

Attachments

• IMG_5074.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 286
The front sway bar install was straight forward

A long with some other suspension work, the car is handling way better. Ran out of time on installing the rear bar.

Attachments

• IMG_5450.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_5452.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 222
After I install my new wheels and tires, this is my next mod. My DD is a Mazda Miata LS. When I get in the Barracuda after driving the Miata, it feels like the cuda is going to roll over in a turn.

-
Back