front sway bar suggestions

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about putting a sway bar on the front of my sons 73 Dart Sport. In reading the Mopar Performance book, it says that if you put it on the front, you should put one on the rear. also says to match the two. what are your thoughts on this. I was looking at the 3/4" bars either from Addco or Hellwig. He has a 360 in it. I personally don't think he needs it but it is his money. thanks in advance for your thoughts,Bill

Hellwig all the way. steering and control issues if you only put it on the front.

Any front sway bar even the cheapest aftermarket bar will make a huge difference is handling and driving comfort. The factroy put a rear bar on police cars, etc.. for even more control. Your decision boils down to how much performance you feel you need for your use.

If his 73 Dart Sport does not have a front sway bar do it first and you will be amazed.
To say you have to put one in the rear is totally Bs.

The Addco bar's mounting brackets SUCK. Mine kept loosening the mounting bolts, and eventually damaged my K-member. You get what you pay for. If you get one, I recommend that you go with a quality piece or none at all.

BTW, when I pulled mine off I noticed almost no change in handling. I do, however, have big torsion bars, 6-leaf springs out back, 18" rims and the car's lowered several inches, so it's not really a fair comparison... ;)

Hellwig all the way! Great fit and easy install. I have the 1 1/8 in the front with homemade sub frame connectors on my 68 valiant and it handles really well. When the 8 3/4 goes in I will be installing hellwigs 3/4" rear sway bar.

If his 73 Dart Sport does not have a front sway bar do it first and you will be amazed.
To say you have to put one in the rear is totally Bs.

Boy, I'll sure agree with both of these statements! How many zillions of cars came with front sway bar only from the factory? I would say rear sway bars are only for those who are really into the handling aspect of their cars, and I remember reading that it can add an element of "twitchiness" to a car's high speed handling.

I have a 1 1/8" Hellwig on my Dart as well and I like it, although the LCA brackets are heavy and look sorta Flintstone, but work fine and haven't ever come loose. I recently installed some .99 torsion bars for the front of my Dart though, so I don't think I'm gonna want a giant fat sway bar up there too.......that'd be nuts, IMO.

GO with a good front bar and see how it feels, opinons very on back bars...with good leaf sprigs and shocks I feel the back ends are pretty good without .

thanks guys, I will go with the Hellwig 1 1/8 on the front. he has some sub frame connectors already he hasn't put on yet. If I like it I may put some on my Duster. With that 440 up there it gets a little dicey on some of the back road curves around here. I was just curious because the book said you need to go with front and rear and they needed to be matched. I thought that was not completely necessary.Thanks

If you add a rear bar in the future just remember to be mild with it- the semi-elliptical leafs actually turn the axle into a turn, a huge-o-mungous rear bar will make it under steer terribly. No mas, amigo

The front sway bar on my Signet runs right through the K- frame and is barely visible, that's the way I wanted it, been that way for 25 years

-
Back