Front Tires Rub

-

Joep

Reaction score
Hey everybody, so here's my problem. The front tires in my demon rub on the fender whenever I turn the wheel and it makes a TERRIBLE sound! It's actually pretty embarrassing when everybody is watching me pull out of a gas station or something and they hear the really loud and awful sound as I drive away. Tires are 215/65r15. What's the next size down I could go to that won't rub but is still a big tire? Also I just had a thought, would turning up the torsion bars a tad make the rubbing go away? Right now it has a pretty low stance on the front end

I have stock police wheels on stock suspension on my 74 dart. 205/60/15. No issues. I took it to a good tire place, aligned, adjusted, and mounted. Been riding ever since with no rub.

Yes increasing ride height by cranking up the t bars will get you some additional clearance if you are rubbing on the fenders. But just depends how much clearance you need. Also depends what back spacing you have, as your track width may be wider than optimal.

Also I forgot to mention that the car isn't aligned and I don't know when the last time it was. I don't know if that would make a difference or not but I just thought Id throw it out there

What rims are you running? Where is it rubbing?

215/65/15 should fit fine with the correct backspacing. It is a 26" tall tire, so you may need to adjust the lower front fender corner to bumper brace to push the lower front corner of the wheel opening out. I ran 225/60/15's on stock police rims on my Duster without issues. Those rims are 15x7 with a 4.25" backspace.

And yes, alignment absolutely matters. If you're running radial tires you should be in the neighborhood of -.25 to -.5* camber, +3* caster, and 1/16" to 1/8" toe in. If you're completely stock you may not be able to get that much caster, depends on your ride height etc. As much + caster as you can get otherwise.

I cut the sheetmetal. 245/50-15s.(24.5") Had to. Car lowered. Balljoints already rubbing inside the 8 inch rims. You gotta do what you gotta do.I wouldn't have done it to a real FormulaS car. Mine's a clone.

I cut the sheetmetal.

Yep. My buddy had to trim the front inside edge of his fender to get these to fit. It was a little nerve racking to do, but he wanted to run a tall tire. We put a little extra touch up paint on the cut and nobody notices.

34B159C5-AC7D-4710-A067-60311F9A8A79_zpsyylbqlub.jpg

After taking a closer look at it today, it is just the passenger side tire is rubbing. The driver side has plenty of clearance but the passenger side is rubbing pretty hard. I'm thinking that an alignment might fix this by itself?

After taking a closer look at it today, it is just the passenger side tire is rubbing. The driver side has plenty of clearance but the passenger side is rubbing pretty hard. I'm thinking that an alignment might fix this by itself?

What part of the fender is it rubbing and when?

Its rubbing the bottom lip of the fender, and it's only when turning left

Hmmm. Get it to a good alignment, front end, tire shop. You could have something worn badly you are missing. Car ever had a smack in the front?

Its rubbing the bottom lip of the fender, and it's only when turning left

At the lower front corner, or at the top of the wheel opening?

If it's at the lower front corner, you probably just need to adjust the fender to bumper brace and push the lower corner of the fender out more.

If its at the top of the wheel opening, it may be because your car is sitting lower on that side than the other.

Either way, an alignment is mandatory at this point. It's not uncommon for one side to rub before the other, the body tolerances on these cars was pretty loose even from the factory. But regardless you should have the car aligned and then go from there.

I think your spot on with an alignment. I cranked up the tbars to raise the ride height about a half in so now its around 2" and that seemed to help a little bit.

But I checked the distance between the tire and the front fenders and on the passenger side it was a little bit tighter than the driver side which tells me its time for an alignment. Also the wear on the tires is getting pretty bad...oops....:burnout:

-
Back