front wheel bearing race install

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
63 dart. 9" front brakes. I want to replace the bearings. should I replace the races at the same time? the new bearings did come with them. If so can I do it at home or need to take the hubs in? thank you for your time. RR

I would always replace race with bearing. Fairly easy to do with hammer and long drift. You will see provided cut-outs in rotor on backside of races to give you access for drift. Knock them out and then clean surface well and carefully knock them back in. Some guys use loctite on back of races when reinstalling them. If you use drift to reinstall be very careful it doesn't slip and Mar bearing surface. Can also use a large socket or such for reinstall, just make sure it is perfect size to catch outer lip on race.

Take a second look at the outer races to make sure they fit snug in the hub. Those races are famous for spinning in the hub and ruining it. Otherwise, it's a fairly simple process to install new races with your bearing cones as 65wgn440 stated. I wouldn't loctite the races in however.

63 dart. 9" front brakes. I want to replace the bearings. should I replace the races at the same time? the new bearings did come with them. If so can I do it at home or need to take the hubs in? thank you for your time. RR

You definitely want new races with new bearings. Make sure you watch several Youtube videos on the technique of knocking them out and in. Take your time and make sure you get them started straight when knocking them in.

The part numbers are set1 and set4 you will need 2 of each plus 2-wheel seals 41257. Most times today the bearing and the race come together.

-
Back