front wheel bearings

-

65Cuda

Reaction score
I have a 65 Barracuda Formula "S", I replaced the drums with the Kelsey Hayes 4 piston calipers and can't seem to get the wheel bearings adjusted properly, ie, At what torque spec do I go to, and how much to back off if I need to??? Any help would be appreciated.

Well, this is what the 66 shop manual has to say.............Bear in mind that' s INCH pounds, IE 90 / 12 = about 7.5 FOOT pounds. What is the problem? Any real play, if done properly indicates damaged bearings, spindle, or hub. I've even seen cases where bearing cups and cones were mismatched part numbers, and in one case, someone had installed a light duty spindle on a pickup, and installed the wrong cone, so the cone ID was a sloppy fit on the spindle. "Nobody could figure" why it drove and stopped so terribly!!!

Attachments

• bearings.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 288
When you said you replace the drum brakes with the KH set up. Not to be a Smart A$$. But you did use the spindles,rotors,hubs from the KH set up? Right? Adjusting the bearing preload isn't really that hard to do. I snug the nut down while I spin the rotor and I'm done.

Oh make sure the bearing races are tight in the hub. I've seen these wear out and not hold the race.

When you said you replace the drum brakes with the KH set up. Not to be a Smart A$$. But you did use the spindles,rotors,hubs from the KH set up? Right? Adjusting the bearing preload isn't really that hard to do. I snug the nut down while I spin the rotor and I'm done.
I used the spindles, rotors and hub. I did snug it down while spinning the wheel this afternoon.

Like most, I never use a torque wrench, just one hand on a Crescent wrench as I spin the hub. You can feel it loosen as the grease works out of the bearing gaps. I always back off at least 1 slot, then repeat a tighten-release cycle to be safe. Too loose is better than too tight. The factory manual suggests the wheel should be installed when doing this (I never have).

Like most, I never use a torque wrench, just one hand on a Crescent wrench as I spin the hub. You can feel it loosen as the grease works out of the bearing gaps. I always back off at least 1 slot, then repeat a tighten-release cycle to be safe. Too loose is better than too tight. The factory manual suggests the wheel should be installed when doing this (I never have).

That's about how I do it.

That's how i did it with a 12 inch long cresent & the tire/wheel installed, then give a good shake at the top of the wheel to see if any play in the bearing. No issues so far.

-
Back