Front wheel tire size Q

-

Serj22

Reaction score
So I have a 1968 Dart 4 door, and I'm running 245/60/r14's in the back, on some 14x7 Outlaw II rims. I ordered a set of Outlaw IIs also for the front now, and want to wrap them with something smaller. I am trying to find out what would work up there, and possibly keep the big wheel in the back, small wheel up front - look, even though the wheels will physically be the same size. Rake is intended if that helps.

parkshot1_zps782176bc.jpg

Basically how thin can I go ideally without it looking super wrong? I am not really well versed in tire sizes.

195/70-14 would be about right.

Lets covert this into inches:
245/60-14 = 9 5/8" wide, 25 5/8" diameter.
195/70-14 = 7 5/8" wide, 24 3/4"" diameter.

Trying to make 7" fronts look like "little's" is tough. I've run 195's on 6" rims before that were satisfactory, but I don't know how they would look on 7's?

195/70-14 would be about right.

Lets covert this into inches:
245/60-14 = 9 5/8" wide, 25 5/8" diameter.
195/70-14 = 7 5/8" wide, 24 3/4"" diameter.

So it'd be close to about an 1" in difference. There's no smaller percentage bit, like a 195/50 or am I thinking about this in the wrong numerical direction?

I'd recommend nothing smaller than a 195/60-14. It will safely fit a 7" wide rim and have enough load capacity to handle most driving situations. Anything smaller in the /60 profile would be too small for the rim you're planning on using.

So it'd be close to about an 1" in difference. There's no smaller percentage bit, like a 195/50 or am I thinking about this in the wrong numerical direction?

195/60-14 is going to be 23.3" diameter. Not sure what kind of ground clearance you have at the front (oil pan, tranny pan?) but this is really pushing the limit IMHO.

I didn't think about the ground clearance for a second there. At this point the car has adequate ground clearance and only scrapes up front when entering a particular parking lot nearby that has tons of scrape marks, but nowhere else. The wheel and tire should only be slightly larger than it is now at a 195/60/14. I went out and measured.

Thank you guys for your help. i found some BFG's to match the back set in the 195/60s and they're only $80 a piece. Perfect.

Well, I went and got the 195/60/14s as suggested and they look GREAT! I went with Coopers, couldn't find white lettered BFG's, and I'm sort of glad I didn't - I like the look of all black up front. The wheels themselves BARELY cleared the upper arm. YOu can probably not even measure the clearance with a caliper, but they clear, and run nice. I would recommend maybe finding a 6" or smaller wheel up front. These are 7s, but they do fit if anyone is looking at them. You just can't use clip on weights on the back. You have to use the sticky weights inside. WE tried the clips and they smacked the arm, so went to stickys and they cleared fine. They only rub when you have the wheel turned to absolute maximum.

They are actually SMALLER than the tires that were on there, which looks fantastic.

Thanks for the help guys.

-
Back