Front wheels rub. :(

-
Thanks everyone. I got the fender braces installed and extended all the way along with moving camber bolts all the way out in the rear and in on the front.

They clear now. Not sure what it will look like after the alignment, but we'll see.

Now I have another no problem with the car dying (like the key is being shut off) after it warms up. FItech EFI, so I have to sort that out. Ugh. Been 8 years and I just want to drive this thing.

Looks to me like you have negative caster, positive caster would pull the wheel back in the wheelwell. You want as much positive caster as you can get. I have mine at +7 with the Hotchkis control arms.

That depends. That much caster without power steering can cause steering effort to be uncomfortably high, because you're actually lifting the weight of the car up in the front when you make a turn.

Looks to me like you have negative caster, positive caster would pull the wheel back in the wheelwell. You want as much positive caster as you can get. I have mine at +7 with the Hotchkis control arms.

I have factory upper arms with moog offset bushings. I am going to ask the alignment shop to get as close to performance street driving on the skosh chart. ( Don't have it right on front of me) we'll see how it turns out.

That depends. That much caster without power steering can cause steering effort to be uncomfortably high, because you're actually lifting the weight of the car up in the front when you make a turn.
Yeah understand your point but it would be a surprise to me that anyone looking for a handling car would run manual steering. I have the borgeson power steering and a 13" wheel and it finally feels a little bit sporty. The issue you run into with wide tires and low or no positive caster is it wanders a lot. The caster makes it drive nice and straight which is the secret to most modern vehicles.

I have factory upper arms with moog offset bushings. I am going to ask the alignment shop to get as close to performance street driving on the skosh chart. ( Don't have it right on front of me) we'll see how it turns out.
Yeah, you should be able to get a couple of degrees I would imagine.

Yeah understand your point but it would be a surprise to me that anyone looking for a handling car would run manual steering. I have the borgeson power steering and a 13" wheel and it finally feels a little bit sporty. The issue you run into with wide tires and low or no positive caster is it wanders a lot. The caster makes it drive nice and straight which is the secret to most modern vehicles.

I agree. Have you ever seen a Mercedes in a parking spot with the wheels cut? Looks like the tire's gonna fall off because they have so much positive caster. A lot of them spec at over 10 degrees. You can see the front end lift on turns. lol

I have electric power steering, I'm hoping for a nice modernish feel. If I have to get tubular uppers, I will, but we'll see how the alignment turns out

Guys, I run +6.5° of caster with 275/35/18's and a 16:1 manual steering box. The steering effort is not that bad, I use my car as my daily driver and it sees plenty of grocery store parking lots. I've run as much as +8° with the same set up, and can say that I've adjusted the caster everywhere from +5° all the way up to +8°. The steering effort increases dramatically once you go past +6.5°. And between +5° and +6.5° of caster the difference in steering effort is fairly small. But below around +6° of caster the "tracking" of the wide front tires starts to become more noticeable. The wide fronts like to follow ruts and low spots in the pavement and start "tracking" that stuff and steering the car with lower caster numbers.

So on my car, I like to run between +6° and +6.5° of caster. And I don't have an issue with the 16:1 manual steering. Sure, a Borgeson power steering set up would be nice, but it costs about 4x what my manual box costs and at least in my opinion is not a necessity for a handling car.

I agree. Have you ever seen a Mercedes in a parking spot with the wheels cut? Looks like the tire's gonna fall off because they have so much positive caster. A lot of them spec at over 10 degrees. You can see the front end lift on turns. lol

Pretty much all the new cars spec them like that, which should tell you something. The modern Challengers all call for +8° or more of caster depending on the model and suspension package. The SRT's are in the +9° range.

-
Back