Front windshield set up on a Dart 67

-

medion

Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I have to change the front windshield gasket of my 67' Dart Coupe.

The guy at the paintshop partly removed the gasket and what appears to be some kind of hard plastic trim (He broke this trim). He made room for paint ... Anyway, he's not used to "these old cars" and he wasn't able to tell me what parts I need to order.

From what I have seen in "Jim'sauto parts" catalogue, it seems that I need a windshield gasket (I already have one ordered a long time ago) and a lock strip that is also some kind on trim ... Am I correct ? :read2:

From what I have read somewhere else, the 67' set up is unique for that year ... It doesn't need clips like every other model ?

Gee, I'm puzzled ! #-oAnybody can help ? Thanks a lot.

If I remember correctly, you'll have to get a 68 dart(not sure if the other years work too, I'm guessing 69 works too?) windshield gasket and trim because most if not all 67's gaskets and trim were junk, I think the trim is plastic on 67's just like in my ex 67 valiant and the 68+ are stainless steel.

But someone else would have to give you the tips and the actual how to's of how to set up the clips correctly for the better trim. That way when you drill holes to set up the clips you test fit the trim before putting in the new gasket.

This forum I got off google might help bit

http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.p...330439f7928b091ee281ba4&topic=32625.msg321395

Hope all goes well! :read2:

The piece that your bodyman broke is the lower windshield lockstrip which is a plastic piece with a shiny surface that acts as the bright trim for the windshield bottom. It "locks" into the windshield gasket, see attached thumbnail pics, click on the pic for a larger view. I just took these pics a couple minutes ago, so I do have this piece in stock.

Hope this helps.....

Thank you guys ...
I've seen somewhere else that the 67' set up was unique and tricky. It's said to leak all the time ... Mine was not different.

Anyway, if I go with the 68 set up, I need the gasket (Jim's auto parts gaskets are ok for both 67 and 68), CLIPS and TRIM. Am I right ?

But just to be sure, what holds the windshield in the 68 set up if there is no lockstrip ?

Thank you all for answering ... That's a lot of questions ... :toothy9:

PS : Rick, how much is this part ? Do yo have the remaining trim ? Is is the lower trim the only lock strip, is the remaining trim (sides and upper) just decoration ?
Thanks ...

The 68 gasket is made different. It doesn't use a locking cord but instead has a
folding interlock itself design. With the right gasket you could use stainless trim from any A-body 68 thru 76 excluding Duster/Dart Sport.

Here is a link to an ebay seller who has the lockstrip trim for the 67.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ame=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=&item=140171284753

I've seen lockstrip trim on there from earlier models of Darts and Valiants as well as trucks. Both were a LOT cheaper; thinkin the truck stuff was $30. I'm not sure, other than maybe the length they give you, what the difference is. I thought about buying the truck stuff, it's cheap enough to eat it if it doesn't work. Also, I'm sure Dodge reused everything on different models/years to save costs.

if you go to the later setup, you'll need clips to hold the trim, and will need to drill holes to attach the clips before installing the gasket.
I'd just get the 67 stuff since it is available

the 67 gasket has a channel molded into it. when installing the lock strip it snaps into window channel exerting pressure outwards and tightening grip on glass, thats how it holds glass in. the 67 gasket is probably going to be easier than trying to attach new clips in correct location. likely the hardest parts to locate if you don't have them are the little stainless corner moulding peices. leaks ??? thats what silicone and weatherstripping in a tube is for.

Are you guys recommending doing the 67 setup instead? Can you make it more resistant and better than how they did them stock? I just think the steel trim from 68+ looks way better. That's the way I would go unless I were trying to do a complete original build.

I agree that the 68 69 trim looks better, but the simplest course of action is to replace with the stock weatherstrip, insert personal preference and let it roll

The stainless only looks better if you do both front and rear windows. It's an expensive upgrade compared to just replacing the original plastic stuff.
There is no fancy plan for placing the clips either. 2 inches out from corners and none where 2 pieces of stainless join (like bottom center). Instead place at 2 inches either side of that join. Then every 6 to 8 inches apart.

on the later gaskets, the clips are for trim only, if the trim fits good and your good with silicone caulking just skip the clips and silicone the trim in. i did this for my backlite and it works fine.
the gasket is a rope-in type and does'nt need trim to hold in glass, so technically the 68-69 gasket is easier to add trim to but can be a real ***** to rope in.

Thank you all for taking care to answer ...
I'll have to make up my mind. But the thing that puzzles me is that the gasket that I bought from Jimsautoparts years ago is said to fit all Dart Coupe from 67 to 76 ... On a '67, the gasket would need a lockstreep and on a '68, the same gasket wouldn't ? Jimsautopart have a serious reputation of providing good spare parts no ? What do you think ?

Lets see the gasket you have. Something isn't right.

It might "fit 67-76" but may not be the factory correct replacement for a certain year.

You must be right, If it's supposed to fit all models from 67 to 76, then it's a JIMSAUTOPARTS special item, not an exact repro of an original Mo-Part. I've just checked their website and it's still said that the same gaskets fits all. I'll try to post pictures in case someone can recognise the part ...
Thanks again.

The 67 gasket has the insert chrome, which is totally right, So I know for sure that you can put in a 68 or 69 gasket and chrome into a 67 because I got a 68 gasket and chrome in my 67 dart, Thats the only way it can be done and its still a pain to find the chrome.

Yes we replaced the old gasket with stainless trim from a 68. Much better.

Copyoffront.jpg

Yeah, I've settled on the 68'/69' set up ... But the chrome part is, as you say, a pain to find. I haven't succeeded in locating a good one yet. It appears to be a "one piece" part ?

I installed new 67 plastic trim on mine and with-in 3 months it had shrunk enough to pull out of the s/s corner pieces. It was 1/2" into the s/s pieces when I installed them. It's junk. I wasted over $200.00. Buy the s/s trim and gasket for a 68-69.
Jim

006 resize.jpg

That 67 set up definitely has bad press ! But this 68' trim sems highly sought after. If it's just decoration, I'll use the car without it if I can't find it in time. Our cars seem to have the same color ... Dark metallic green ?

-
Back