FRUSTRATED! need help with carrier swap

-
I think you need to post some pictures so we can see what the trouble is.
my garage is 40 min from my house and i work 5 days a week so pictures may be difficult but next time i go to work on it ill take pictures if i cant fix it with whats been said.

..........If u take out the opposite axle, will it go in then.......have u tried backing off the adjuster on the axle........kim......

If everything is stock , i would not cut a thing , something wrong , i never used aftermarket axles before so would not know , but i have changed these carriers alot in the last 30 years and had not problem with stock stuff.

..........If u take out the opposite axle, will it go in then.......have u tried backing off the adjuster on the axle........kim......

i tried taking out the other axle and trying and it still wont go in same problem. and ive never heard of a adjuster on a axle can you explain and show me how to do this?

If everything is stock , i would not cut a thing , something wrong , i never used aftermarket axles before so would not know , but i have changed these carriers alot in the last 30 years and had not problem with stock stuff.

i think there stock axles there no indication there not( ie brand names on them) but both are the same exact size and the passenger side just wont go in that last half in. like its hitting either the middle metal block thing the surgrip posi might not be lined up or the bearings might be hitting because of a spacer. but i dont think this is it because ive tried the other axle that fits on the other side onto the passenger side with the same results.

i also dont know if this is normal. when i turn the side thats in i can turn it backwards all i want but when i turn it forward it goes like 1 full rotation then locks and cant be moved. its not attached to the driveshaft yet or any thing is this because of the suregrip unit? or? thanks for all ur guys help im new at this stuff.

If the splines were not misaligned before they are probably gonna be so now. You are not supposed to turn it with just one axle in there. That is what causes the misalignment. You will get it back with instructions in previous post though so dont worry.

If everything is stock on your axle then there is a threaded adjuster (see pic) on the passenger side of the axle. You can try to back that of, then do the spline aligning trick. If you succed dont forget to set the axle play back to specs with the adjuster. Sorry bout my poor spelling and english.

Attachments

• DSC04463.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 153
I can also add that It can be both simple or quite tricky to get them aligned again. I had to use a pry bar and use quite some power to turn it and push in at the same time. Or maybe Im just not that strong lol! That was a cluth type sure grip. When I got them aligned the axle would finally settle nicely in all way. I had the same problem with a cone type but did not have to use the same force with that. Good luck!

I have always heard you have to pull the spacer with green bearings.I had to. If you dont have an adjuster you must have aftermarket green bearings. They are sealed bearings therefore needing no adjustment..Maybe your other carrier had the thrust block or pin removed and your new carrier doesnt.

I have always heard you have to pull the spacer with green bearings.I had to. If you dont have an adjuster you must have aftermarket green bearings. They are sealed bearings therefore needing no adjustment..Maybe your other carrier had the thrust block or pin removed and your new carrier doesnt.

there deffinitly not sealed bearings and i think i do have the adjuster i just didnt know what it was ill have to look when i work on it this weekend. and the thrust block is the metal peice in the middle of the gears right?

If the splines were not misaligned before they are probably gonna be so now. You are not supposed to turn it with just one axle in there. That is what causes the misalignment. You will get it back with instructions in previous post though so dont worry.

If everything is stock on your axle then there is a threaded adjuster (see pic) on the passenger side of the axle. You can try to back that of, then do the spline aligning trick. If you succed dont forget to set the axle play back to specs with the adjuster. Sorry bout my poor spelling and english.

how do i back off the adjuster? does anyone have a picture?

the thrust block is the metal piece in the middle of the gears right?

Right. Fits between the ends of the axles, and needs to have the end play adjusted by that collar on the bearing retainer on the passenger side, adjusted to give about .010" clearance (play.) You'll need a dial indicator (cheap, at Harbor Freight.. get one, if you don't have one,) to measure that. Just turn the collar until you get the clearance you need. Green, *aftermarket* (ball) bearings, have no such requirement. They both just bolt in "solid."

The passenger side axle has the end-play adjusting mechanism built into the bearing retainer. It's a collar with a lot of small holes around the periphery. There's a locking strap to apply (one bolt,) when you get it adjusted properly, to prevent its turning and coming out of adjustment.

Good luck!:blob:

Right. Fits between the ends of the axles, and needs to have the end play adjusted by that collar on the bearing retainer on the passenger side, adjusted to give about .010" clearance (play.) You'll need a dial indicator (cheap, at Harbor Freight.. get one, if you don't have one,) to measure that. Just turn the collar until you get the clearance you need. Green, *aftermarket* (ball) bearings, have no such requirement. They both just bolt in "solid."

The passenger side axle has the end-play adjusting mechanism built into the bearing retainer. It's a collar with a lot of small holes around the periphery. There's a locking strap to apply (one bolt,) when you get it adjusted properly, to prevent its turning and coming out of adjustment.

Good luck!:blob:

thanks ill need it

well i have bad news i worked on it with no luck sat as well as dropping my camera and breaking it so no pictures and im still at square one with the car. i think im just going to cut down the axles the 1/2 in i need. this sucks

You have any friends or family that can take a look at it to verify that they actually need cut? Hate for you to have them cut and they will not go

You have any friends or family that can take a look at it to verify that they actually need cut? Hate for you to have them cut and they will not go

yeah my dad and brother have been helping me and cant figure it out either. cutting looks like the only option right now. i talked to my local mechanic who drag races chevys (nova, camaro) and hes gonna try and talk to his rearend builder to see if theres any ideas on this tomorrow so ill wait and see if not its to the chopping block aka machine shop. ive never been so angry at a inanimate object in my entire life :banghead:

with cutting off 1/2 in of the end the axles will be weaker then they where before i can assume? (less surface of the splines to use the less strength) ?????

If you cut it off and the reason it wouldn't go in was because the cone and side gear splines weren't lined up you'll wind up with a junk axle and a car that won't move! You need to get someone that knows 8 3/4's to see what you have going on!

If you cut it off and the reason it wouldn't go in was because the cone and side gear splines weren't lined up you'll wind up with a junk axle and a car that won't move! You need to get someone that knows 8 3/4's to see what you have going on!

Agreed. Cutting the axle may make it go in but if it doesn't engage into the inner spline the car won't move and you might destroy the sure grip unit to boot. I just read through the whole thread and it sure sounds like it's just a spline not aligned. Seen it happen several times. You just need to do what SG said earlier. Bolt the other axle in and put a tire on that side then put the side in that isn't going all the way and using a pry bar lodged in the wheel studs turn it while pushing in. It won't be easy but it'll go.

If you worked on it all day you could have pulled the axles and pulled the carrier and then you could stick the axles in it to see whats happening.You could measure the carrier depth and mark how far axles going in and check if its bottoming.I had to do this before and realized i had to remove the thrust block. When the carriers out you can see if the splines are lined up.Only costs the price of a gasket or gasket maker.

I have always heard you have to pull the spacer with green bearings.

i have never had to remove it. and i have used green bearings on numerous cars. also have used numerous moser axles and never had to pull it. seems most of the guys that have to pull it are using yukon axles for some reason.

Agreed. Cutting the axle may make it go in but if it doesn't engage into the inner spline the car won't move and you might destroy the sure grip unit to boot. I just read through the whole thread and it sure sounds like it's just a spline not aligned. Seen it happen several times. You just need to do what SG said earlier. Bolt the other axle in and put a tire on that side then put the side in that isn't going all the way and using a pry bar lodged in the wheel studs turn it while pushing in. It won't be easy but it'll go.

i tried this it didnt work.i can get the axle into the splines i cant get it that last half in i think its hitting that thrust block. so ur telling me that there is a second set of splines a half in thick in my carrier on one side???? and thats whats not lined up because when i had it out of the car it only had one set on each side i could be wrong though.

i have never had to remove it. and i have used green bearings on numerous cars. also have used numerous moser axles and never had to pull it. seems most of the guys that have to pull it are using yukon axles for some reason.

i do not have green bearings they are not sealed

If you worked on it all day you could have pulled the axles and pulled the carrier and then you could stick the axles in it to see whats happening.You could measure the carrier depth and mark how far axles going in and check if its bottoming.I had to do this before and realized i had to remove the thrust block. When the carriers out you can see if the splines are lined up.Only costs the price of a gasket or gasket maker.

i did pull the the axles and try all the things mentioned but i didnt pull the carrier. i feel like it is the thrust block now how do i take this out? i looked at my other carrier and it looks like its held in with a metal dowel pin that goes all the way through the gears. do i just use a punch and hammer this out then remove the block? will this have any bad effects on the rearend?

If you think it is bottoming out than you should be able to remove the side that goes all the way and then try the other axle. If it goes all way in like this than yes it is bottoming out. If it still won't go in your splines are not lined up!

-
Back