fuel and confused

-

451 duster

451 duster
Reaction score
I have a 70 duster 340 with a 451 stroker in it. When I got it running, it was amazing. But it seems the longer I ran it the rougher running it got. Im running a edelbrock 800 with a carter race mech pump. At first I thought it was the MSD box but After I opened the carb to make sure that all was well it was very dirty. So the carb is now rebuilt and from what I now understand edl carbs dont like anything over 6.5 psi. So should I switch to a more stock mech pump or should I switch to a holley carb with the race pump or a electric pump with a regulator. I realize there are a number of ways to go,so Im looking the combo my car needs for performance and relialibity. Or am I just freeking out and my fuel system is fine.:headbang: Im so close

duster 30.jpg

d1 30.jpg

Cheapest and easiest way is to instal a regulator and set it at 6 -6.5 psi.

I have a holley regulator but there is not a whole lot of places to mount it between the mech pump and carb. I see they do regulator brackets that mount off the carb studs but they seem to be for holleys. Will they work for edels also?

I made my own out of a spare peice of flat stock and simply drilled holes to mount.

Some rust mostly dried up gas debre and fuzz and dust. I was told it was new,used for a short time but sat on a shelf for a while. I did replace the whole fuel system.

Since you got it rebuilt is it running ok? Or is the pump flooding the carb? Yes, Eddy's like 6psi or less or they can flood. If it's running ok, leave it. If it's flooding, you need a regulator or Holley or Demon. If it's still running rough, then it may not be the pump/carb combo?

By the way, I like the Indy's on the back of your Duster. What size are those?

Good luck! If it were me, I'd run a regulator either way. Those race pumps are 120gph right? Even if I switched to a Holley, your on the upper limits I'd say. Doesnt Carter recommend a regulator with that pump? I may be mistaken...

Ill be able to try it out this weekend, Also a buddy of mine has a eddy pump that flows at 120 gph but is set at 6 psi. Do i need the 8.5 regulated down to 6 even if the gph is the same?. Also those are old school L60s on 14x8 1/2 U.S. indy mags.

Yes. Regulate it down to 6-6.5lbs. Volume-vs-Pressure are two totally different things.

-
Back