Fuel bypass question

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
OK. I have a 360, witha 625 Carter AFB (Edelbrock). It's being fed by a Carter 72GPH Carter street/strip pump with 3/8 aluminum line and a holley regulator at the carb (set to 5.5psi).

I can hear the pump lug down when I'm just idling. I would like to put in some kind of a bypass circuit to pass more fuel to allow the pump to run cooler and keep it from bogging down. Would there be anything wrong with putting in a T fitting just after the pump, and running a smaller line (1/4") back to the tank?
i figure this would allow the pump to stop fighting the fuel backup at low RPMS, without losing overall pressure.

Any thoughts? I know several people who runs these pumps on their weekend street rods and haven't had any problems.

The pump is being used how it is designed to, so it should be fine.Running a line back to the tank after the pump would just reduce the amount of fuel to the carb. Your best bet would be to run a true bypass at the carb with a full return line to the tank. A bypass valve has a spring/check valve that controls when and how quickly the fuel returns. Barry Grant makes an electric pump step down box which allows you to use large electric pumps on the street, it slows the pump down at low RPM's. I've never used one but anything from Barry Grant is a quality(expensive) product.

-
Back