Fuel caps

-

Rninca1

Reaction score
Looking for replacement gas cap for sons 64 dart gt. Original Cap was recently stolen off car. Which years are interchangeable? Tried a few and Turning up with nothing. Any one have one for sale?
P.s. When and where is the "fling" in southern California... Was told I might find something at this event.

Thanks ,
Becky mother of a Mopar son

'60-66 will fit the hole but the '60-2 clocking of the handle might be different. If you want the original type, you should be able to find them at Fall Fling. If Layson's is there, they've had them in the past. Steve's are a nice replacement cap that have the factory style look. There are usually a bunch of aftermarket ones on E-bay. Check your filler neck to make sure it hasn't been modified sometime in the past. I see more and more of those that have been ruined trying to install the later caps. Once you expand the hole bigger, the original one won't stay in anymore.

'60-66 will fit the hole but the '60-2 clocking of the handle might be different.

Nope, it's the same. The original caps were painted body color and have a horizontal straight bar type handle. The handle was chromed in at least '60, possibly through '62 or '63, then went to body-color paint. Service replacement caps were chrome (body and handle). The most commonly found period-correct aftermarket cap is the Stant item, chrome body with a black or chrome "S"-shaped handle.

Hi Becky,

The Fall Fling in Woodley Park, Van Nuys is Saturday Oct. 30.

We do have the early A-body fuel caps in stock and ready to ship. I have them in grey primer to be painted to match body color, and I also have them in a fully chromed version as well.

Another, slightly different, question about fuel caps....Anyone have any luck installing the Charger flip cap style on an early A-body? I think it would look awesome, so I'm gonna try it!

Wayne
Austin, TX

Thanks so much for all info. Gonna check out the fling. And guess I'll jump on one of these options for a cap. This site has been very helpful. The knowledge base is so amazing. Before long... I just may steal my sons car and call it mine!!

Another, slightly different, question about fuel caps....Anyone have any luck installing the Charger flip cap style on an early A-body? I think it would look awesome, so I'm gonna try it!

Wayne
Austin, TX
You need to make an adaptor to use one. They won't sit flat against the body.

if you use the 67 GTX flip cap with the 67 GTX surround they will fit tight and look pretty HOT....(set up I am using) BEA has the set but it aint cheap...... I also have the offset piece( spacer) made from Nylon that I likely will not be using....they aint exactly cheap either but they are a sight cheaper than the GTX set up......
AND yes the clocking is different on some of those caps I have 6 caps all with mopar stamps in states of rust/disrepair on the OUTSIDE and only 2 of them result in a horizontal line on my 66 the other 4 point to 8 & 2

I bought one of damraider's caps, and it works great. Just need to polish out the machining marks, but that's a lot easier than it looks - the swirls are not as bad as they appear in the pictures.

Looking for replacement gas cap for sons 64 dart gt. Original Cap was recently stolen off car. Which years are interchangeable? Tried a few and Turning up with nothing. Any one have one for sale?
P.s. When and where is the "fling" in southern California... Was told I might find something at this event.

Thanks ,
Becky mother of a Mopar son

I had luck on moparts, I found a nice chrome locking cap. It replaced my old dinged up, slightly rusted locking cap.

I had my eye open for one for about a year before I found it.

I've bought 2 fuel caps from damraider. Great product, cheaper and way better than laysons in my honest opinion.

Becky if you still need a cap send me a PM. Hate thieves especially when they hit the mopar family. Have 3 that i've restored and keep for spares. These are not brand new but all look nice and are fully functional. One is polished aluminum, one chrome and one black wrinkle finish. Here are pics of them. If interested i'll send one you choose for free.

Oldschoolcuda

Attachments

• parts5 616.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 99
  • parts5 617.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 96
  • parts5 619.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 99
I am going w/ this hagan door just because I like the smoothness and it seals really well.

Attachments

• 41-T.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 100
-
Back