Fuel Cell Foam

-

Mcfarlrm

Reaction score
Installing a new Holley Red Electric fuel pump to replace an existing one that is going bad. I took apart the old one and noticed that there were very small bits of foam around the flame arrestor screen. At first it looked like metal shavings. Took a peak in the fuel cell after all the fuel was drained and noticed the previous owner had safety foam added to the cell. I imagine that this foam is breaking down and flowing through the fuel system, which seems like a huge cause for concern. Is this foam necessary for a fuel cell? Looks like I now need to blow out the entire system.

Quick Google search and it looks like it is definitely necessary to have the foam. I imagine that I just need to remove the old foam, blow out the entire system and replace it.

After about 10 years, the foam in my silver car degraded to the point of me now having to rebuild or replace everything from the carbs to the cell. I'm pretty pissed. It'll be time consuming and expensive. I know it's the pump gas. It also hardens and forms rubber-lined braided lines.

The foam is mostly for fuel sloshing, I pulled mine out of my RCI fuel cell cause I've read about this happening. Plus you gain a little more fuel room.

-
Back